1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Problem (constructive interference)

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone,

here's a problem that's been troubling me all day and I really have no idea what else to do:

"Speakers A and B are vibrating in phase. They are directly facing each other, are 8.0 m apart, and are each playing a 76.0-Hz tone. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. On the line between the speakers there are three points where constructive interference occurs. What are the distances of these three points from speaker A?"

I've found the wavelength (using v=343 and f=76) to be 4.513.

I then set up three equations, that I think in theory will give me the right answer:
    (w = wavelength)
    (l = length (8m))

However, when I submitted this each answer online, I got an incorrect answer. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance,

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no reason to impose that you are at a distance w from one speaker!! You could be at 1.3 w, or 0.668w or any other distance!
    (btw, notice that your solution would work only if l = 4 w which is not the case here).
    What you must do is to impose that the difference of distance travelled by both waves is either 0 or w or 2w and so on.

Call x the distance from the first speaker. Then l-x is the distance from the second speaker (as you already had). Then impose that the difference between the two distances is 0 or w or 2 w, etc.

l-x - x = 0, w, 2w , ect.

The first possibility gives you the obvious solution: right in the middle. Then you will get the others. Of course, no solution is possible when n w gets above l, which happens for the first time when n =3. so l- 2x = 3 w has no solution in your case. This shows that there are only 3 solutions (corresponding to 0, w and 2w)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?