Wave Velocity: Improper approach, or incorrect differentiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses a transverse wave on a cord described by the equation D(x, t) = 0.19sin(2.9x - 35t), where D and x are in meters and t is in seconds. Two questions are asked at a specific time, t = 8.6*10^-2 s, regarding the displacement and velocity of a point on the cord at x = 0.62 m. The displacement is found to be -0.18 m using the given equation. However, when trying to find the velocity using the derivative, there is an error in the calculation. The correct answer is not found, possibly due to a mistake in applying the chain rule.
rusty65

Homework Statement

A transverse wave on a cord is given by D(x, t) = 0.19sin(2.9x - 35t), where D and x are in m and t is in s.
1) At t = 8.6*10^-2 s, what is the displacement of the point on the cord where x = 0.62 m?
2) At t = 8.6*10^-2 s, what is the velocity of the point on the cord where x = 0.62 m?

Homework Equations

given displacement ---> D(x, t) = 0.19sin(2.9x - 35t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I didnt have any trouble finding the displacement of the wave along the cord (-0.18m) as all I had to do was plug in the given values of x and t, then make sure my calculator was in radians.

The velocity is where I ran into problems. I figured it shouldn't be any harder than taking the derivative of the given equation, then once again plugging in the supplied values. However, I did not come up with the correct answer, and I not sure if I simply differentiated incorrectly or if that is not even the correct approach. Heres my work:

0.19sin(2.9x - 35t) ---> ∂D/∂t = 0.19cos(2.9x - 35t) * (2.9 - 35t)
∂D/∂t = 0.19cos(2.9x - 35t) * (2.9 - 3.01) = (-0.11)*0.19cos(2.9x - 35t)
∂D/∂t = -0.0209cos(2.9x - 35t)
∂D/∂t = -0.0209cos(-1.212)
∂D/∂t = -0.007338 m/s

But, like I said, ∂D/∂t =/= -0.007338 m/s

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
rusty65 said:
0.19sin(2.9x - 35t) ---> ∂D/∂t = 0.19cos(2.9x - 35t) * (2.9 - 35t)
Try this derivative again. Review the chain rule.

1. What is wave velocity and how is it calculated?

Wave velocity refers to the speed at which a wave travels through a medium. It is calculated by dividing the distance the wave travels by the time it takes to travel that distance.

2. Why is it important to use the correct approach when calculating wave velocity?

Using the correct approach ensures that the calculation is accurate and reflects the true speed of the wave. An improper approach can lead to incorrect results and misleading conclusions.

3. What is an improper approach when calculating wave velocity?

An improper approach could involve using an incorrect formula, not taking into account the properties of the medium, or neglecting important factors such as wave interference.

4. How does incorrect differentiation affect the calculation of wave velocity?

Incorrect differentiation can lead to inaccurate results as it involves calculating the rate of change of the wave with respect to time. Any errors in the differentiation process will affect the final velocity calculation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating wave velocity?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong formula, not taking into account the properties of the medium, and failing to properly account for factors such as wave interference. It is also important to double check calculations and use units consistently throughout the calculation.