Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavefunction collapse and measurement

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    So, rookie question, I know, but I'm having a little trouble with the idea of wavefunction collapse as it pertains to stationary states:

If a measurement of energy collapses a wavefunction into an energy eigenstate, it stays there forever (unless perturbed). But my impression is that although position measurements collapse a wavefunction, the wavefunction will begin to evolve rather quickly after the measurement.

Does this have something to do with the fact that x doesn't commute with H? What are some other measurements that will yield an evolving wavefunction?

Say I have some operator associated with an observable that has two values: 'happy' and 'sad.' What else do I need to know about this situation to predict whether a measurement of 'happy' will leave the particle in that state for all time?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Yes, it has to do with whether or not the operator A corresponding to the measurement you are doing commutes with the Hamiltonian H. H governs the time evolution of the wave function. A measurement of A will collapse the system into an eigenstate of A. If A commutes with H, the system will remain in that eigenstate of A as it evolves in time as determined by H. If A and H don't commute, then it will be in an eigenstate of A immediately after the measurement, but will then begin evolving into some linear combination of all the eigenstates of A as time passes.
  4. May 9, 2010 #3
    Okay, makes sense. Thanks for your time phyzguy, glad to hear I wasn't too far from home there!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook