1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wavefunction in the energy representation

1. May 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\psi(x)=\frac{3}{5}\chi_{1}(x)+\frac{4}{5}\chi_{3}(x)[/tex]

Both [tex]\chi_{1}(x) \chi_{3}(x)[/tex] are normalized energy eigenfunctions of the ground and second excited states respectivley. I need to find the 'wavefunction in the energy representation'

3. The attempt at a solution

I can find the expectation value of the energy but what is the wavefunction in the energy representation?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2009 #2
    It looks like it is given in the energy representation already. Except I'd write it as:

[tex]\left|\psi\right> = \frac{3}{5}\left|E_1\right>+\frac{4}{5}\left|E_3\right>[/tex]

4. May 16, 2009 #3
    I'm not so sure. I think what they are after is [tex]\psi(E)[/tex] i.e. a function of energy. I suppose in analogy with [tex]\psi(x) = \left<x|\psi\right>[/tex] it would be [tex]\psi(E) = \left<E|\psi\right>[/tex]. Completeness of states could be of help. I suspect you should get delta functions.

5. May 16, 2009 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

I wouldn't have thought of that, but yeah, that might be it.

6. May 16, 2009 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess at what they want: (I think it's the same as what Phsopher said, but possibly a bit more intuitive)

By completeness, you can represent any wave-function:

[tex]\Psi (x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_n\psi_n(x)[/tex]

Where the [tex]\psi_n[/tex] represent energy eigenfunctions. The energy representation of the wave function would probably then just be the coefficients [tex]c_n[/tex] at different energies. The probabilities of finding a specific energy would be [tex]|c_n|^2[/tex]. This is a bit weird, because it's not any real function that I can think of (dirac deltas can't really be squared properly...as far as I know...so I don't think ).

I'm sort of stumped on this one too!

EDIT:

Oh, I just thought, maybe instead of using Dirac Deltas, you can use Kronecker deltas...

Perhaps:

[tex]\Psi(E) = \frac{3}{5}\delta_{E, E_1} + \frac{4}{5}\delta_{E, E_3}[/tex]

Not 100% on this though.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook