• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Wavefunction in the energy representation

• Thread starter dave4000
  • Start date

Homework Statement

[tex]\psi(x)=\frac{3}{5}\chi_{1}(x)+\frac{4}{5}\chi_{3}(x)[/tex]

Both [tex]\chi_{1}(x) \chi_{3}(x)[/tex] are normalized energy eigenfunctions of the ground and second excited states respectivley. I need to find the 'wavefunction in the energy representation'

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the expectation value of the energy but what is the wavefunction in the energy representation?

Answers and Replies

It looks like it is given in the energy representation already. Except I'd write it as:

[tex]\left|\psi\right> = \frac{3}{5}\left|E_1\right>+\frac{4}{5}\left|E_3\right>[/tex]

I'm not so sure. I think what they are after is [tex]\psi(E)[/tex] i.e. a function of energy. I suppose in analogy with [tex]\psi(x) = \left<x|\psi\right>[/tex] it would be [tex]\psi(E) = \left<E|\psi\right>[/tex]. Completeness of states could be of help. I suspect you should get delta functions.

diazona
Homework Helper
I'm not so sure. I think what they are after is [tex]\psi(E)[/tex] i.e. a function of energy. I suppose in analogy with [tex]\psi(x) = \left<x|\psi\right>[/tex] it would be [tex]\psi(E) = \left<E|\psi\right>[/tex]. Completeness of states could be of help. I suspect you should get delta functions.
I wouldn't have thought of that, but yeah, that might be it.

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My guess at what they want: (I think it's the same as what Phsopher said, but possibly a bit more intuitive)

By completeness, you can represent any wave-function:

[tex]\Psi (x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} c_n\psi_n(x)[/tex]

Where the [tex]\psi_n[/tex] represent energy eigenfunctions. The energy representation of the wave function would probably then just be the coefficients [tex]c_n[/tex] at different energies. The probabilities of finding a specific energy would be [tex]|c_n|^2[/tex]. This is a bit weird, because it's not any real function that I can think of (dirac deltas can't really be squared properly...as far as I know...so I don't think ).

I'm sort of stumped on this one too!

EDIT:

Oh, I just thought, maybe instead of using Dirac Deltas, you can use Kronecker deltas...

Perhaps:

[tex]\Psi(E) = \frac{3}{5}\delta_{E, E_1} + \frac{4}{5}\delta_{E, E_3}[/tex]

Not 100% on this though.

Last edited: