1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the normalisation constant of a wavefunction real?

1. May 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the wavefunction ##\Psi (x, t) = c\ \psi (x) e^{-iEt/ \hbar}## such that ##\int | \Psi (x, t) |^{2} dx = 1##.

I would like to prove to myself that the normalisation factor ##c## is a real number.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

##\int | \Psi (x, t) |^{2} dx = 1##

##\int c\ \psi (x)\ e^{-iEt/ \hbar}\ c^{*}\ \psi^{*}(x)\ e^{iEt/ \hbar}\ dx = 1##

##\int c\ \psi (x)\ c^{*}\ \psi^{*}(x)\ dx = 1##

##\int |c|^{2}\ |\psi (x)|^{2}\ dx = 1##

This isn't getting me anywhere, though! :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You cannot prove this, quantum mechanics is fine with redefining all phases by the same phase factor and the physics does not depend on the phase of a state. It only depends on the relative phase of interfering states. However, you may choose the normalisation constant to be real for this very reason.

4. May 20, 2015 #3
    Thanks!

I knew that the phase factors are tunable, but I was not able to see that this could account for the plausibility of a real normalisation constant.

Now, it's all clear!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted