1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waveguide loss measurement- endfire coupling

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1
    Hi, I am doing an experiment to investigate the propagation loss in some nanophotonics structures.

The laser light is coupled to the input of the DUT chip via a tapered lensed fiber and the output of the chip is go through a objective then a photodetector.

The chip is design for telecommunication propose, so wavelenght of interest is around 1550nm.

I did a spectrum scan for 1500 - 1600 nm and obtained the spectrum as below..

[​IMG]

Unfortunately , the spectrum is with the fabry perot effect.. (the oscillation), i try to calculated the path from the spectrum , but the calculated dimension doesnot match the fiber-chip facet or both end facet of chip .

So if you gurus outthere can help _?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2
    I'm not quite sure what your question is exactly.

There are some things that you should clear up:
    - What wavelength laser are you putting into your chip? Is it broadband?
    - The fabry-perot effect is arising from the reflections within the chip?
    - If the chip is designed for 1550nm, why are you trying to measure spectral losses? Why can't you use a 1550nm source and just measure the total average power at the output?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?