Balmer Series and Atomic Absorbtion/Emission

In summary, the Balmer series for hydrogen involves electrons moving from n=1 to n=3, and then dropping to n=2, emitting red light. The absorption spectrum would have a black line at 656nm and the emission spectrum would have a red line at the same location. This is because the absorbed red light is emitted when the electron drops to a lower level. However, to emit red light again, the electron would have to drop back down to n=1.
ThomasMagnus

Homework Statement

This isn't a homework question, but I will try and follow the template.

I am confused about the relationship between the absorbtion and emission spectrums for hydrogen. I was taught that in the balmer series for hydrogen, when an electron moves from the n=1 level to n=3, and then drops from n=3 to n=2 it emits red light. I was also told that the absorbtion spectrum would have a black line at about 656nm and a red line on the emission spectrum in the same location. It was explained that it absorbed red light, so it must emit that light when the electrons fall to a lower level.

What I don't understand is how red light absorbed could bump the electron from n=1 to 3, while dropping from n=3 to 2 would release the same light. Wouldn't it have to drop back to n=1 to emit this same red light?

Thanks!

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

See above

Physics news on Phys.org
What I don't understand is how red light absorbed could bump the electron from n=1 to 3, while dropping from n=3 to 2 would release the same light. Wouldn't it have to drop back to n=1 to emit this same red light?
Yes it would. It looks like the description got garbled.

1. What is the Balmer Series?

The Balmer Series is a series of spectral lines in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum that are emitted by hydrogen atoms when an electron transitions from a higher energy level to the second energy level (n=2).

2. What are the wavelengths of the Balmer Series lines?

The wavelengths of the Balmer Series lines can be calculated using the Balmer formula: λ = 364.6(1/n2 - 1/22) nm, where n is the energy level of the hydrogen atom.

3. What is atomic absorption?

Atomic absorption is a spectroscopic technique used to determine the concentration of an element in a sample by measuring the amount of light absorbed by the atoms of that element in the sample. This absorption occurs at specific wavelengths that are characteristic of the element.

4. How does atomic emission differ from atomic absorption?

Atomic emission is the process of atoms releasing energy in the form of light as they transition from higher to lower energy levels. This emission can be observed as spectral lines in a spectrum. In contrast, atomic absorption is the absorption of light by the atoms, resulting in the reduction of the intensity of the light. Both processes are based on the same principle of energy level transitions in atoms, but in opposite directions.

5. What is the significance of the Balmer Series and atomic absorption/emission in the study of atoms?

The Balmer Series and atomic absorption/emission play a crucial role in understanding the energy levels and structure of atoms. The Balmer Series helps in identifying and characterizing elements based on their spectral lines, while atomic absorption and emission provide a quantitative measure of the concentration of elements in a sample. These techniques have numerous applications in fields such as astronomy, environmental analysis, and materials science.