1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waves traveling through a string

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A string of length L vibrates at its fundamental frequency. The amplitude at a point (1/4) L from one end is 6.00 .

What is the amplitude of each of the traveling waves that form this standing wave?

2. Relevant equations

none

3. The attempt at a solution

I absolutely don't know where to start. Have to submit it as soon as possible and I'm running out of options.
    Please help :s

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the standing wave, the displacement of the particles of the string is given by
    y(x,t) = A*sin(kx)*cos(wt). For all the particles cos(wt) remains constant. When kx = 0, the point is node. When kx = pi/2, the point is anti node, which is at the middle of the string. At L/4, kx must be pi/4. Now find A.

4. Jan 23, 2009 #3
    what goes for y(x,t) and cos(wt) then?

5. Jan 23, 2009 #4
    anyone ?

6. Jan 23, 2009 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

what goes for y(x,t) and cos(wt) then?
    y(x,t) is the vertical amplitude if the vibrating particle and (wt) is the angular velocity of the particle which is same for all particles.

7. Jan 24, 2009 #6
    sorry for being extremely shallow, but what it (wt) ?

I looked everywhere and I can't seem to find the constant.

8. Jan 24, 2009 #7

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

w = 2*pi/T where T is the time for one oscillation. It is constant for all particles. And t is the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?