Way to check whether ne555 timer is working?

• Thread starter sri_ramtk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Timer
In summary, there is a way to check whether a ne555 timer is working by checking that there is a voltage change on pin 6 of the IC, and/or by checking the voltage at the transistor end of R5.
sri_ramtk
is there any way to check whether ne555 timer is working?i got a project in my coll about seismic sensor and this is the circuit diagram http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a-VJV2rj-08/TE3BFy92lAI/AAAAAAAAAFs/8Ugz6gINKJw/s1600/Untitled.png.
when i soldered everythin perfectly,and a supply is give to it,the voltage is not getting transferred to the pins 1,2and 3 when i check them by using multimeter.do i have to set any offset voltage initially before using that in a circuit?if it is so please explain...

Engineering news on Phys.org

You need to check that when you hit the seismic sensor, there is a voltage change on pin 6 of IC1 and then (if there is) check the voltage at the transistor end of R5.

This really needs to be done with an oscilloscope.

If these are OK, then notice that the timing circuit (R7 and C5) is set for about 100 seconds and it will also be very easily upset by leakage in C5 because R7 is so large.

So, C5 needs to be a Tantalum type although tantalum 100 uF capacitors are probably expensive. You could get a 10 uF one to try out the circuit.

Don't do any of this unless you have the input pulses working properly as described above.

that's good advice from Vk6,,, (as always)

you might briefly jumper on the 555 pins 2 and 6 (or the respective ends of R7 and R10)

that should make it try to run in astable mode at about 1 hz

and give you some flashes on the red LED.

"""voltage is not getting transferred to the pins 1,2and 3 """
where exactly are you placing the + amd - meter leads?
pin2 ought to be solid +9 volts.
double check you pinout - good picture here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

"""is there any way to check whether ne555 timer is working?"""
have you studied the description of operation?
Pins 2 and 6 control pin 3...

last thing i see is, no power supply bypass capacitor.
were it mine i'd replace R6 with a short piece of wire so C3 can stabilize the supply.
555 takes a big gulp of current when his output switches and can upset a meek power supply.

1. How do I know if my NE555 timer is working?

The best way to check if your NE555 timer is working is to use a multimeter to measure the output voltage. Connect the positive lead of the multimeter to the output pin and the negative lead to ground. If the output voltage matches the expected value, then the timer is working properly.

2. What is the expected output voltage of an NE555 timer?

The output voltage of an NE555 timer depends on the supply voltage and the components used in the circuit. In general, the output voltage can range from 1.5V to the supply voltage minus 1.5V.

3. Can I test an NE555 timer without a multimeter?

Yes, you can use a simple LED and resistor circuit to test the NE555 timer. Connect the LED and resistor in series between the output pin and ground. If the LED lights up, then the timer is working properly.

4. What are the common reasons for an NE555 timer not working?

The most common reasons for an NE555 timer not working are incorrect wiring, faulty components, or incorrect values for resistors and capacitors in the circuit. It is also important to ensure that the supply voltage is within the recommended range for the timer.

5. Is there a way to test the internal components of an NE555 timer?

Yes, you can use an oscilloscope to test the internal components of an NE555 timer. By connecting the oscilloscope to different pins of the timer, you can measure the waveforms and check if they are within the expected values. However, this method requires some technical knowledge and equipment.