We live in a small world: our mentors are awesome

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, a forum mentor helped a person many years ago and their conversation later turned friendly. The mentor asked about the person's school and mentioned a professor they knew. Years later, the person was grading for that same professor and found out they knew the mentor. The professor had good things to say about the mentor and the person found it amazing that such an overlap occurred. This led to a discussion about the smallness of the internet and the possibility of statistical bias.
member 428835
Hi PF!

A particular mentor (can I name who?) helped me A LOT years ago. After many (I'm talking hundreds of posts on one thread) conversation changes a little from technical to friendly. My schooling was brought up, and I told this mentor what school I attended. The mentor asked if I knew professor XX. I did, in fact, I've taken a few courses from this particular professor, and was VERY close to having them on my PhD committee.

Fast forward a few years, I'm grading for professor XX, and they ask me if I know the physics forum mentor [professor XX addresses them by name]. I do! Professor XX then tells me they and a few other fraternity buddies meet about once a year at their alma matre to catch up. Professor XX had many good things to say about the mentor, how they stayed pure in science, incredibly bright, and overall amazing person.

I just thought I'd share this since I think the odds of such an overlap are incredibly slim.

• Love
Likes DennisN, DrClaude, jtbell and 10 others
Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

A particular mentor (can I name who?) helped me A LOT years ago. After many (I'm talking hundreds of posts on one thread) conversation changes a little from technical to friendly. My schooling was brought up, and I told this mentor what school I attended. The mentor asked if I knew professor XX. I did, in fact, I've taken a few courses from this particular professor, and was VERY close to having them on my PhD committee.

Fast forward a few years, I'm grading for professor XX, and they ask me if I know the physics forum mentor [professor XX addresses them by name]. I do! Professor XX then tells me they and a few other fraternity buddies meet about once a year at their alma matre to catch up. Professor XX had many good things to say about the mentor, how they stayed pure in science, incredibly bright, and overall amazing person.

I just thought I'd share this since I think the odds of such an overlap are incredibly slim.
Not that slim? Cool post.

Likes member 428835
The internet is smaller than you think. I have found students asking for help on homework I clearly constructed several times. Good story nonetheless.

Likes member 428835
Orodruin said:
The internet is smaller than you think. I have found students asking for help on homework I clearly constructed several times. Good story nonetheless.
That's amazing! I'd be tempted to toy with that, tell them that problem is ridiculous and that their prof must be a jerk :oldcool::oldwink:

Is this a situation of how many persons in a room could have the same birthday?
Or maybe closer to, how many degrees of separation is anyone away from the Queen of England problem.
Statistical bias might be in play.

What does "We live in a small world: our mentors are awesome" mean?

"We live in a small world: our mentors are awesome" is a phrase that highlights the interconnectedness of people and the importance of mentors in our lives. It suggests that our mentors, or those who guide and teach us, play a significant role in shaping who we are and our place in the world.

Why is it important to have mentors?

Mentors provide guidance, support, and knowledge to help us navigate through life's challenges and achieve our goals. They offer valuable insights and experiences that we may not have access to on our own. Mentors also serve as role models and can help us develop important skills and qualities for personal and professional growth.

Who can be a mentor?

Anyone can be a mentor, regardless of age, occupation, or background. Mentors can be family members, teachers, coaches, colleagues, or even strangers. What's important is that they have the expertise, experience, and willingness to guide and support others.

How can I find a mentor?

There are many ways to find a mentor. You can reach out to someone you admire and ask them to be your mentor, seek recommendations from friends or colleagues, or join mentorship programs or organizations. You can also attend networking events or conferences to connect with potential mentors.

How can I be a good mentee?

To be a good mentee, it's important to be open-minded, respectful, and committed to learning and growing. Communicate clearly and regularly with your mentor, listen to their advice and feedback, and be proactive in seeking their guidance. Show gratitude and appreciation for their time and efforts, and strive to apply what you learn from them in your personal and professional life.