Weak induction is equivalent to strong induction

In summary, to prove that weak induction is equivalent to strong induction, we assume weak induction and prove that it implies strong induction. This is done by showing that if (i) 1 is in S and (ii) n is in S implies n+1 is in S, then S is equal to the set of natural numbers. This can be proven by assuming (a) 1 is in S and (b) the set {1,...,n} is in S implies n+1 is in S, and using these assumptions to show that S is equal to the set of natural numbers. Therefore, weak induction is equivalent to strong induction.
wrldt

Homework Statement

Prove that weak induction is equivalent to strong induction.

Homework Equations

To prove this...we assume weak induction. That is

(i) 1 [itex]\in[/itex] S
(ii) n[itex]\in[/itex] S [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] n+1 [itex]\in[/itex] S for all n in N

The Attempt at a Solution

So to prove strong induction we need to prove the following:
(i) 1 [itex]\in[/itex] S
This is given by our assumption of weak induction.
(ii) {1...n} [itex]\in[/itex] is a subset of S.
SInce we know 1 is in S, we can make 2...n by 1+1, 1+1+1, 1+...+1 (n times)
(iii) if (ii) is true than n+1 is in S.
I think this is true because our assumption guaranteed this.

This is a rough sketch of what I wan to say. Am I on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
So assume weak induction, that is:

If
(i) [itex]1\in S[/itex]
(ii) [itex]n\in S~\Rightarrow~n+1\in S[/itex]
then [itex]S=\mathbb{N}[/itex].

You need to prove that strong induction holds. That is, you assume that
(a) [itex]1\in S[/itex]
(b) [itex]\{1,...,n\}\in S~\Rightarrow~n+1\in S[/itex].
You need to prove from (a) and (b) that [itex]S=\mathbb{N}[/itex]. You don't need to prove (a) and (b), they are given.

1. What is the difference between weak induction and strong induction?

Weak induction is a proof technique used to show that a statement is true for all natural numbers by first showing that it is true for the first natural number, and then assuming it is true for some arbitrary natural number and proving that it is also true for the next natural number. Strong induction, on the other hand, assumes that the statement is true for all natural numbers up to a certain point, and then proves that it is also true for the next natural number. In simpler terms, weak induction starts from a specific base case and works upwards, while strong induction starts from the general case and works backwards.

2. Why is weak induction equivalent to strong induction?

Weak induction and strong induction are equivalent because they both rely on the same underlying principle - the principle of mathematical induction. This principle states that if a statement is true for the first natural number, and also true for the next natural number whenever it is true for some arbitrary natural number, then it is true for all natural numbers. Both weak and strong induction follow this principle, but just approach it in different ways.

3. Which type of induction should I use for a proof?

The choice between weak induction and strong induction depends on the specific statement you are trying to prove. In some cases, one may be more straightforward or easier to use than the other. It is important to carefully consider the statement and determine which approach makes the most sense for your particular proof.

4. Can strong induction be used in place of weak induction?

Yes, strong induction can be used in place of weak induction. This is because strong induction is a more powerful form of induction, meaning it can be used in any situation where weak induction is applicable. However, using strong induction may not always be necessary or the most efficient approach.

5. Are there any limitations to using weak induction or strong induction?

Both weak induction and strong induction are powerful proof techniques, but they do have limitations. For example, they can only be used for statements that are true for all natural numbers. They cannot be used for statements that are true for only certain subsets of natural numbers. Additionally, they are not always the most efficient or intuitive approach for every proof, so it is important to carefully consider whether or not they are the best option for a particular situation.