Weak nuclear force - circumstances in which it is manifested

In summary, the weak nuclear force is involved in beta decay processes and can occur in both free and bound neutrons. However, beta decay in water at room temperature will only occur if there is tritium present.
arlesterc
I have a glass of water at room temperature. The electromagnetic force is at play between the electrons and nucleus of the atoms, the strong nuclear force is at play holding the nucleus together, the force of gravity weak as it may be is at play between the various particles - electrons, quarks. Is the weak nuclear force at play as well? Are neutrons being converted into protons in this glass as is the case with the weak nuclear force be it in a very minimal way/not frequent but still happening? Or is the case that the weak nuclear force only manifests itself in special circumstances such as radioactive materials, extremely high temperature/high energy situations - sun, accelerators? From my reading it seems to only occur to free standing neutrons - not those bound in a nucleus - which I assume to be a special circumstance/special environmental situation - and which is not the case with my glass of water at room temperature. Thanks in advance for clarification on this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
The weak nuclear force is involved in beta decay and similar processes (n to p or p to n inside nucleus). Water at room temperature will have beta decay only if there is tritium present, which decays to He3.

Thanks for the quick response. If tritium is present then somehow there ends up being unbound neutrons which decay into protons? I am asking because per this wiki note - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_interaction - "A particularly extreme example is the weak-force decay of a free neutron, which takes about 15 minutes." I thought the weak force only applied in the circumstances where there are free neutrons. Are you saying that bound neutrons - in the nucleus - an unstable nucleus - also have weak force decay? So in the nucleus of all radioactive elements the weak force is at work changing bound neutrons in the nucleus to protons? And the wiki example is not the general case that only free neutrons decay/exhibit the weak force?

arlesterc said:
I thought the weak force only applied in the circumstances where there are free neutrons.

This is not the case. Beta decays of nuclei like tritrium are weak force decays.

1. What is the weak nuclear force?

The weak nuclear force is one of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and strong nuclear force. It is responsible for the radioactive decay of particles and is the weakest of all the forces.

2. How is the weak nuclear force manifested?

The weak nuclear force is manifested in various processes such as beta decay, where a neutron turns into a proton, and a beta particle (electron or positron) is emitted. It is also involved in other types of radioactive decay and plays a role in nuclear fusion and fission reactions.

3. What are the circumstances in which the weak nuclear force is most prominent?

The weak nuclear force is most prominent in situations involving high energies, such as in the core of stars and during particle collisions in accelerators. It is also important in the early stages of the universe, during the Big Bang, as it helped to shape the formation of matter.

4. How does the weak nuclear force differ from the other fundamental forces?

The weak nuclear force differs from the other fundamental forces in several ways. It has a very short range, only acting over distances smaller than the size of an atomic nucleus. It is also the only force that can change the flavor of quarks and leptons, while the other forces only interact with particles of the same flavor.

5. Can the weak nuclear force be harnessed for practical applications?

While the weak nuclear force is not directly harnessed for practical applications, our understanding of it has led to advancements in fields such as nuclear energy and medicine. Radioactive decay, which is governed by the weak force, is used in medical imaging and cancer treatments. It also plays a role in nuclear power plants, which generate electricity through controlled nuclear reactions.