Weak & Strong Magnet attract each other no matter what polarity

In summary: Is there any document or book dealing this issue.Yes, there are many books and articles on the subject. For example, here is a Wikipedia article on magnetism.
sachooo
Recently while working with electromagnet , we noticed one thing.

I we bring strong magnet near very weak PM or electromagnet, It will attract the weak one whatever is the polarity of magnets.

we increased power to electromagnet then it was giving repulsion.

I did't understand this phenomenon can anybody explain this to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
sachooo said:
Recently while working with electromagnet , we noticed one thing.

I we bring strong magnet near very weak PM or electromagnet, It will attract the weak one whatever is the polarity of magnets.

we increased power to electromagnet then it was giving repulsion.

I did't understand this phenomenon can anybody explain this to me.

Welcome to the PF.

What are electromagnets constructed of? You wind wire around what kind of metal?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What are electromagnets constructed of? You wind wire around what kind of metal?

We used simple mild steel but we observed this behaviour with permanant magnets too.

A strong magnet will attract an ordinary piece of iron. In the case where the weak magnet is very weak, it behaves more like an ordinary piece of iron than a strong magnet.

To express this in more detail I think(but do not know enough about domain theory to be sure)that the field of the stronger magnet temporarily realigns the domains of the weaker magnet such that attraction always occurs.As an example if the N pole of the stronger magnet were brought close to the N pole of the weaker magnet then the domains of the weaker magnet would be flipped round such that its poles reverse.Perhaps if contact was maintained for a long enough time the polarity reversal of the weaker magnet would become permanent.What happens must also depend upon the types of magnets used as well as their strengths.

Dadface said:
To express this in more detail I think(but do not know enough about domain theory to be sure)that the field of the stronger magnet temporarily realigns the domains of the weaker magnet such that attraction always occurs.As an example if the N pole of the stronger magnet were brought close to the N pole of the weaker magnet then the domains of the weaker magnet would be flipped round such that its poles reverse.Perhaps if contact was maintained for a long enough time the polarity reversal of the weaker magnet would become permanent.What happens must also depend upon the types of magnets used as well as their strengths.

Thanks You all for this information.

In our project We are trying to attract & repel permanant magnet. To get max force we tried use high power permanant magnet & so we had this problem.
But now I would like know what should be relative strength of both magnets sothat there will be attraction & repulsion both.

Is there any document or book dealing this issue.

Is there any method to measure field strength with multimeter CRO. ( normal electronics Lab instruments )

Hello sachooo.It is relevant to know the difference between "magnetically hard" and "magnetically soft" magnets.I think the Wiki article entitled "magnet" contains all of the information you need and more.

Related to Weak & Strong Magnet attract each other no matter what polarity

1. How do weak and strong magnets attract each other?

Weak and strong magnets attract each other due to their magnetic fields. The strong magnet has a stronger magnetic field, which exerts a force on the weaker magnet and pulls it towards itself.

2. Is there a difference in the strength of attraction between weak and strong magnets?

Yes, there is a difference in the strength of attraction between weak and strong magnets. Strong magnets have a stronger magnetic field and therefore exert a stronger force on weaker magnets compared to two weak magnets attracting each other.

3. Can weak and strong magnets attract each other even if they have different polarities?

Yes, weak and strong magnets can attract each other even if they have different polarities. This is because the magnetic field lines of one magnet can still interact with the magnetic field lines of the other magnet, regardless of their polarity.

4. Why do weak and strong magnets attract each other no matter what polarity?

This is due to the nature of magnetic fields. Opposite poles of a magnet have magnetic field lines that flow in opposite directions, while like poles have magnetic field lines that flow in the same direction. When two magnets are brought close together, their magnetic field lines interact and create a force of attraction.

5. Can the strength of attraction between weak and strong magnets be altered?

The strength of attraction between weak and strong magnets can be altered by changing the distance between them. The closer the magnets are, the stronger the force of attraction will be. Additionally, the strength of a magnet can also be altered by changing its size or the material it is made of.