Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weakly sequentially compact supsets

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    I need some help in understanding exactly the following definition (any links to sources will be great).

What is boundedly weakly sequentially compact subset in the compact Hausdorf space with a regular Borel measure?

What in this case will be the weak topology?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is your background in math? I've never heard the terms "boundedly weakly sequentially" before. And I doubt the presence of a Borel measure has anything to do with it. So, to sum up my question,
    -Are you sure you've transcribed the question right? Because the "boundedly part in "boundedly weakly sequentially compact" sounds weird to me.
    -there is a lot of words in your question. Which ones do you understand and which ones not.
    -what is the context of the question/where are you coming from mathematically? Are you an engineer trying to read a math text, or an undergrad trying to understand a paper, etc?

4. Feb 15, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Best I could come up with is:

You have the weak topology (presumably in some function space), and a given set is
    sequentially compact in the weak topology. The weak topology on a collection of operators/functions, is the smallest topology that makes all the operators continuous; e.g., the product topology is the initial topology for the projection operators (note that the largest topology to make all continuous would be the uninteresting topology).

A weak topology is also used when you have a collection of functions from a set --without a topology--into a topological space. Once can then (constructively) define a topology on the set so that this topology is the smallest topology (i.e. not contained in a larger topology) which makes the collection of all maps simultaneously continuous.

There is a similar notion for final topology, in which you go in the reverse direction, mapping a space into a set, so that your final topology is the largest topology that makes all maps continuous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook