Weakness in socal security numbers found.

In summary, the New York Times article discusses a study done by researchers who were able to identify statistical patterns in the country's living population, allowing them to extrapolate millions of Social Security numbers for individuals whose birth date and location were publicly available. This raises concerns about identity theft and the importance of being cautious when giving out personal information. The article also includes personal anecdotes about individuals whose Social Security numbers did not match the expected statistical patterns.
Computer science news on Phys.org
SixNein said:

That link seems to lead to a log-in page, but I found the article off Google. For some reason, I can't get the link to work again though :grumpy:.

...the researchers were able to identify statistical patterns that then permitted extrapolating to the country’s living population, making it possible — in principle — to identify millions of Social Security numbers for individuals whose birth date and location were publicly available...

This part is really scary. If they can do that, then the identity thieves have probably been doing that for a while. That's why when someone wants my S.S. or birthdate, I'm pretty careful to who I give it out to.

Interesting. I have lived my entire life in Illinois. Except for a two year stint when my father worked in Missouri. During that time, I had to apply for a SS number to enter high school. A year later, we moved back to Illinois. As a result, my SS number does not statistically match those of Illinois residents even though I was born there.

In the early Apple ][ days, someone at my computer club worked up a similar algorithm to guess driver's liscense numbers. His program utterly failed with me due to my quirky Social Security number.

1. What is the significance of the weakness found in social security numbers?

The weakness found in social security numbers is significant because it can potentially lead to identity theft and fraud. Social security numbers are used as a unique identifier for individuals and if this information is compromised, it can make it easier for someone to access personal information and commit crimes.

2. How was this weakness discovered?

This weakness was discovered through various studies and data breaches that have occurred in recent years. Researchers have also been able to replicate the algorithm used to generate social security numbers, making it easier to identify patterns and vulnerabilities.

3. What are the potential consequences of this weakness?

The potential consequences of this weakness include identity theft, financial fraud, and privacy breaches. It can also lead to compromised access to important government services and benefits, as social security numbers are often used for verification purposes.

4. What measures are being taken to address this weakness?

The Social Security Administration has implemented a new algorithm for generating social security numbers to make them more secure. Additionally, there are ongoing efforts to educate the public on the importance of protecting personal information and to strengthen data security measures in various industries.

5. Can individuals protect themselves from this weakness?

While individuals cannot completely eliminate the risk of their social security number being compromised, there are steps they can take to protect themselves. This includes being cautious about sharing personal information, regularly monitoring credit reports, and promptly reporting any suspicious activity.