Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Wedge Product

1. May 14, 2017 #1
    Hello! I was trying to show that the wedge product of 2 one-forms is a 2-form. So we have ## (A \wedge B)_{\mu \nu} = A_\mu B_\nu - A_\nu B_\mu ##. So to show that this is a (0,2) tensor, we need to show that ##(A \wedge B)_{\mu' \nu'} = \Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu \Lambda_{\nu'}^\nu (A \wedge B)_{\mu \nu}##. But ##A_{\mu'} B_{\nu'} - A_{\nu'} B_{\mu'} = \Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu A_\mu \Lambda_{\nu'}^\nu B_\nu - \Lambda_{\nu'}^\nu A_\nu \Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu B_\mu ##. I am not sure how to proceed from here, as the matrices don't commute, so I can't bring the ##\Lambda## in the front. What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What matrices? Those are just numbers.

4. May 14, 2017 #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Also again, be warned about this sloppy notation of indizes. You should put the prime on the symbol (or in addition to the symbol). Otherwise the equations don't make sense strictly speaking (I know that some unfortunate textbooks use this very dangerous notation). Also make sure that both the "vertical and horizontal" placement of the indices is accurate. For a 2nd-rank tensor the transformation law should be written as
    $$T_{\mu \nu}'={\Lambda^{\rho}}_{\mu} {\Lambda^{\sigma}}_{\nu} T^{\rho \sigma}.$$
    Concerning your question, Orodruin has given you the right hint. The tensor components are all numbers, and thus the product is the usual commutative product of real numbers!

5. May 14, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted