1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight and Wheel (Linear and Angular Acceleration)

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    Weight and Wheel !!! (Linear and Angular Acceleration)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a bicycle wheel that initially is not rotating. A block of mass is attached to the wheel and is allowed to fall a distance . Assume that the wheel has a moment of inertia, I, about its rotation axis.
    A)Consider the case that the string tied to the block is attached to the outside of the wheel, at a radius ,ra. Find the angular speed of the wheel after the block has fallen a distance h, for this case.
    b)Consider the case that the string tied to the block is attached to the outside of the wheel, at a radius ,rb. Find the angular speed of the wheel after the block has fallen a distance h, for this case.

2. Relevant equations

K=1/2mv^2 U=mgh Mechanical energy conserved therefore E=K+U
    V=rw
    Images attached
    3. The attempt at a solution
    (a)U1+K1=U2+K2
    mgh+0=0+1/2mv^2+1/2Iw^2
    2mgh=mv^2+Iw^2
    2mgh=mv^2+I(V/r)^2
    (2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I)=v^2
    V=SQRT((2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I))
    w=v/r
    w=SQRT((2mghr^2)/(mr^2+I))/r

(b) the same? just changing the r values?

I entered that as my answer but it says that it does not depend on the variable m and r but the only way to get rid of them is if the moment of intertia wasn't I.. So now I'm very confused and have no way of figuring out how to cancel them...
    Help?
    Thank you!:smile:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine to me, but please simplify by canceling that outside r.

That makes no sense to me. (I assume you've stated the problem completely and that there's no additional information given.)

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    Oh thank you, it just turned out I wasn't using the greek w and so basically got the question wrong! ugh very annoying!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?