Weight Attatched to string spun in horizontal circle: Find angle with horizontal

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining the angle that a string makes with the horizontal when a 104 g stone is whirled in a horizontal circle on the end of an 83 cm long string. The solution involved finding the centripetal acceleration, tension of the string, and normal force, and then using vector diagrams and equations to solve for the angle. The final answer was found to be 26 degrees.
DmJeffer

Homework Statement

A 104 g stone is whirled in a horizontal circle on the end of an 83 cm long string. The stone takes 1.2 s to make each complete revolution. Determine the angle that the string makes with the horizontal.

Homework Equations

f=ma
v=(2*pi*r)/T
Centripetal acceleration=V^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming I need to find the centripetal acceleration necessary to maintain circular motion. I then need to find the tension of the string and the normal force, and then find the angle needed to produce the needed centripetal acceleration.

r=.83sin(θ)
v=(2*.83sin(θ)*pi)/1.2
A=((2*.83sin(θ)*pi)/1.2)^2/(.83sin(θ))

And this is where I get stuck. I feel like the problem should be just be simple algebra and substitution, but I am having trouble finding an equation for the normal force. Am I on the right track with this?

Thanks for any assistance.
Dmjeffer

Physics news on Phys.org
ω=2π/T, so you can find ω, and hence the centripetal force using mω2r.

The horizontal component of the tension provides the centripetal force and the vertical component counteracts the weight.

It will help to draw a vector diagram (r,z) with gravity pulling downward (f_z = mg = m * 9.8 m/s/s) and the calculated centripetal acceleration and force acting horizontally f_r).

Remember that since the axis of rotation is vertical the centripetal force is perpendicular to it and thus horizontal.

You know the resulting vector must be in line with the string (so the tension can exactly cancel). You should then be able to write one or two equations and solve for the angle.

Thanks for the fast response.

So, now I have

ω=5.2

centripetal force=(.104)(5.2)^2(.83cos(θ))=2.3cos(θ)

Tcos(θ)=2.3cos(θ) : This is the horizontal component of the tension force equal to the centripetal force

T=2.3

Tsin(θ)=9.8m/s/s*.104kg : This is the vertical component of the tension equal to the force of gravity
Solving for this, I get an angle of 26 degrees, which is apparently wrong. Am I going in the right direction with this? Or am I still misunderstanding the problem?

It does look like you did everything correct. It could be that you need to work with more decimal places to get a more accurate answer.

rock.freak667 said:
It does look like you did everything correct. It could be that you need to work with more decimal places to get a more accurate answer.

Exactly right, I sincerely appreciate the help, this problem has been bugging me for a few days now.

1. What is the purpose of finding the angle with horizontal in this experiment?

The angle with horizontal is used to determine the centripetal force acting on the weight attached to the string. This force is necessary for the weight to maintain its circular motion.

2. How is the angle with horizontal calculated in this experiment?

The angle with horizontal is calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific calculation may vary depending on the setup of the experiment and the specific data collected.

3. What factors can affect the angle with horizontal in this experiment?

The angle with horizontal can be affected by the length of the string, the mass of the weight, the speed of rotation, and the tension in the string. Other external factors such as air resistance may also have an impact.

4. What does the angle with horizontal tell us about the weight and its motion?

The angle with horizontal provides information about the centripetal force acting on the weight and the direction of its motion. It also helps determine the relationship between the weight, the string, and the center of rotation.

5. How can the angle with horizontal be used to analyze and understand circular motion?

The angle with horizontal is an important component in understanding circular motion because it helps determine the forces and acceleration involved. It also allows for the calculation of other important variables such as velocity and radius of rotation.