1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight of 2 Blocks on an Incline

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Block B rests on Block A. Block B is restrained with a string, while Block A slides down the incline. During the time Block A is between Block B and the inclined plane, Block A slides with constant velocity. If the weight of Blocks A and B are both w, and the coefficient of friction is the same between Block A and B and between Block A and the plane, find the value of the coefficient of friction u. [The angle of the incline is 45].

2. Relevant equations
    The professor's solution has a free body diagram for Block A, with two frictional forces and a normal force. This I understand, but he draws weight straight down with magnitude w+w. I thought this was incorrect, as Block A only experiences a Normal force from Block B.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    The rest of the problem is inconsequential, but my proposed diagram for Block A has 2 frictional forces up the slope, Normal A normal to the slope, Normal B perpendicular to the surface between Blocks A and B, and weight of w.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If block B wasn't there, wouldn't you still draw a force of w acting on block A ?

4. Dec 19, 2014 #3
    My bad wording, I thought that Block A would have Weight w and Normal force from B. I drew this in the picture I attached to the original post if you'd like to take a look. (:

5. Dec 19, 2014 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I can't tell anything from that picture.

6. Dec 19, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The attached picture looks fine, but I presume this is your picture, not your professor's. Without an exact reproduction of what your professor said/drew it will be impossible to tell whether you simply misunderstood. Do you arrive at different answers?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted