Weight of barge on a bridge canal/acqueduct

In summary: The answer is no, because the barge displaces water, which has a weight and creates an imbalance.If the presumption is that the water level is invariant, because the barge is already in the water before entering the water bridge, as well as after, then the mass borne by the bridge... would be the same?The mass of the water displaced by the barge does not change, but the mass of the bridge does.
bigboss

Homework Statement

In England in the Middle Ages an extensive system of canals was used for transportation. Some of these canals crossed over canyons by flowing over bridges (viaducts). Suppose that a heavily loaded barge crossed over such a waterway bridge.

A)The force on the bridge would not change when the barge passed over.

B)The force on the barge would become less because some water would be squeezed off of the bridge.

C)The force downward on the bridge would increase because of the added weight of the barge.

D)The force on the bridge would become less because of the buoyancy effect of the water on the barge.

E)Whether or not the force on the bridge would increase or decrease would depend on whether the water was flowing or stationary.

Homework Equations

Fb= mg=pvg

The Attempt at a Solution

i believe it is C, but i am not very sure

Physics news on Phys.org

The barge displaces an equal mass of water, i.e. the mass does not change.

bigboss said:
In England in the Middle Ages an extensive system of canals was used for transportation.
The 18century is middle ages?

so if the mass does not change, what does that mean?

Astronuc said:
The barge displaces an equal mass of water, i.e. the mass does not change.

"Displaces" doesn't necessarily mean, "causes to spill out of the aqueduct," does it? What if there is more than enough extra room?

Also, doesn't the barge displace an equal volume (not mass) of water i.e. equal to the volume of the portion of the barge that is submerged?

Does the bow wave add mass?

""Displaces" doesn't necessarily mean, "causes to spill out of the aqueduct," does it? What if there is more than enough extra room?"

Because of choice B (...because some water would be squeezed off of the bridge), I think the question assumes there's no extra room. That's ridiculously unrealistic, of course, but so are most physics problems.

"Also, doesn't the barge displace an equal volume (not mass) of water i.e. equal to the volume of the portion of the barge that is submerged?"

Both are true. If the barge is floating, it displaces a volume of water equal to the volume of part of the object that's submerged, but if that volume is filled with water, its weight would equal that of the barge. If this weren't the case, gravity and buoyancy wouldn't balance, and the barge would move upwards or downwards until they do.

i am still not understanding this, what would be the answer?

The Falkirk Wheel in Scotland for extra credit.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/falkirk_wheel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ideasrule said:
Both are true. If the barge is floating, it displaces a volume of water equal to the volume of part of the object that's submerged, but if that volume is filled with water, its weight would equal that of the barge. If this weren't the case, gravity and buoyancy wouldn't balance, and the barge would move upwards or downwards until they do.

Right. I knew that. :blushing:

I think this is a badly worded problem though. If we're supposed to make certain assumptions when answering it, then that should be stated explicitly.

bigboss said:
i am still not understanding this, what would be the answer?

Initially the aqueduct contains a certain mass of water which has a certain weight. This weight is supported by the bridge.

If we go with Astronuc on this one, then after the barge starts traversing the aqueduct, the total mass of stuff in the aqueduct (water + barge) DOESN'T change compared to what it was initially. If the total mass of stuff in the aqueduct is the same, then what about its weight compared to before?

then the weight would be the same

bigboss said:
then the weight would be the same
mass doesn't change therefore weight doesn't change.

Phrak said:
The Falkirk Wheel in Scotland for extra credit.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/gadgets/images/falkirk_wheel.jpg
[/URL] That's very cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astronuc said:
mass doesn't change therefore weight doesn't change.

therefore, force does not change? A?

"therefore, force does not change? A? "

With the assumption that any water the barge displaces spills out of the aqueduct, yes.

When there is no barge on the canal, the weight on the bridge is the weight of the water in the canal. When the barge enters the canal, buoyancy act on the barge, which is equal to the loss weight of the barge. Equal and opposite reaction of the barge act on the bridge through water. So the choice is C.

rl.bhat said:
When there is no barge on the canal, the weight on the bridge is the weight of the water in the canal. When the barge enters the canal, buoyancy act on the barge, which is equal to the loss weight of the barge. Equal and opposite reaction of the barge act on the bridge through water. So the choice is C.

If the presumption is that the water level is invariant, because the barge is already in the water before entering the water bridge, as well as after, then the mass borne by the bridge looks also to be invariant, (as Astronuc, ideasrule, et al have pointed out). The buoyancy that supports the boat, the displaced water, accounts for the whole weight of the boat. So yes the barge bears down on the water and the water on the bridge, but there is less water bearing down on the bridge that nature has conveniently managed to make identical to the weight of the barge in floating it in the first place.

I'd say where any additional weight is added is at the point that the boat initially enters the bodies of water on either side of the bridge, and the water level minutely adjusts itself over all the water from that point onward.

ideasrule said:
"therefore, force does not change? A? "

With the assumption that any water the barge displaces spills out of the aqueduct, yes.

no, no. The extra water can go anywhere. It can spill out of the canal, or the presence of the boat forces the water up and down the canal, as long as the level of the water is the same.

And Yes, the force doesn't change. Weight is a force.

Related to Weight of barge on a bridge canal/acqueduct

1. What is the weight of a barge on a bridge canal/acqueduct?

The weight of a barge on a bridge canal/acqueduct can vary greatly depending on the size and type of the barge. On average, a barge can weigh anywhere from 1,500 to 15,000 tons.

2. How does the weight of a barge affect the bridge canal/acqueduct?

The weight of a barge can have a significant impact on the bridge canal/acqueduct. The weight of the barge puts pressure on the structure, which can cause stress and potentially lead to damage if the bridge is not designed to handle the weight.

3. How is the weight of a barge calculated on a bridge canal/acqueduct?

The weight of a barge on a bridge canal/acqueduct is typically calculated by taking the total weight of the barge and dividing it by the number of points of contact between the barge and the structure. This gives an estimate of the weight per point of contact, which is then used to determine the total weight on the bridge.

4. Are there weight restrictions for barges on bridge canals/acqueducts?

Yes, there are weight restrictions for barges on bridge canals/acqueducts. These restrictions are put in place to ensure the safety and integrity of the structure. The weight restrictions can vary depending on the design and capacity of the bridge canal/acqueduct, and are typically enforced by local authorities.

5. What factors can affect the weight of a barge on a bridge canal/acqueduct?

Several factors can affect the weight of a barge on a bridge canal/acqueduct, including the size and type of the barge, the materials it is carrying, and the water level of the canal or acqueduct. Other environmental factors such as wind and currents can also impact the weight distribution on the structure.