Weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel

In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of revolutions per minute a 15.1 m diameter Ferris wheel needs to make for passengers to feel "weightless" at the top. The first person is having trouble with the problem and mentions using centripetal acceleration and converting it to angular velocity. The second person suggests drawing a free body diagram and figuring out which forces are acting where. The first person then mentions setting up an equation using velocity and solving for it, but is unsure how to convert it to revolutions per minute. The second person thanks the first person for their help.
Sumbhajee

Homework Statement

How many revolutions per minute would a 15.1 m diameter Ferris wheel need to make for the passengers to feel "weightless" at the topmost point of the trip?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume this problem has something to do with finding acceleration and converting from there. I have been having a lot of trouble with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the things you know about vertical circular motion?

I know that Centripetal acceleration = (velocity)^2/radius

If you're weightless at the top, what does that mean? Draw your free body diagram, then figure out which forces are acting where.

Sumbhajee said:
I know that Centripetal acceleration = (velocity)^2/radius

Can write this in terms of angular velocity?
What happens at the top of the wheel?

If you are weightless at the top you should have mass * gravity acting down and a centripetal force equal to gravity acting up. But how does this information help to discover revolutions per minute?

To set up the equation would I use the following:

9.80=V^2/7.55 and solve for velocity? But how do you convert velocity to revolutions per minute?

I found the answer! Thank you for all the help.

1. How does weightlessness occur on a Ferris Wheel?

Weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel occurs because of the combination of centripetal force and gravity. When the Ferris Wheel is spinning, the centripetal force pushes the rider towards the center of the wheel, while gravity pulls them towards the ground. At the top of the wheel, the two forces cancel each other out, resulting in a brief moment of weightlessness.

2. Does the speed of the Ferris Wheel affect weightlessness?

Yes, the speed of the Ferris Wheel does affect weightlessness. The faster the wheel is spinning, the greater the centripetal force and the longer the periods of weightlessness will be. However, if the wheel is spinning too fast, the force can be too strong and cause discomfort for riders.

3. How long does weightlessness last on a Ferris Wheel?

The duration of weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel depends on the size of the wheel and its speed. On a typical Ferris Wheel, weightlessness typically lasts for a few seconds at the top of the wheel. However, on larger wheels or ones with a higher speed, weightlessness can last for a longer period of time.

4. Can weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel have any negative effects on the body?

Weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel is a relatively mild form of weightlessness and typically does not have any negative effects on the body. However, individuals with certain medical conditions or those who are prone to motion sickness may experience discomfort or nausea during weightlessness.

5. Is weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel the same as being in outer space?

No, weightlessness on a Ferris Wheel is not the same as being in outer space. In outer space, there is no gravity at all, whereas on a Ferris Wheel, gravity is still present but is temporarily balanced by the centripetal force. Additionally, weightlessness in outer space can last for much longer periods of time, whereas on a Ferris Wheel it is only brief moments.