Weinberg and his QM and QFT books

In summary, Weinberg's books on Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory are highly comprehensive and well-written textbooks, but may be too advanced for beginners. It is recommended to have some prior knowledge from easier QFT books before delving into Weinberg's volumes. Additionally, there are other books that can complement and deepen one's understanding of QFT.
FourEyedRaven
Hi,

Two questions.

Are Weinberg's "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics" a bridge to his QFT books? I read that his QFT volumes are excellent books, but not for the beginner. So, if I want to begin QFT, can I choose his "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics" for a graduate level QM book, and make the transition easier? Or is there just no way around learning QFT from an easier source before reading Weinberg's volumes?

A second question is: why are his QFT books so difficult? Is it because of the advanced mathematics, the abstract treatment, the knowledge or maturity assumed, the pace? What is it exactly?

Thank you in advance and happy new year everybody.

4ER

Physics news on Phys.org
The level of Weinberg's books is high, because he is very comprehensive. E.g., in his QFT books he starts with the derivation of all physically relevant unitary representations of the Poincare group. For the beginner that's too abstract to start with this anyway quite abstract subject. His QM book doesn't help starting with his QFT books any more than any good QM book helps to learn the fundamental concepts of QT needed to start with QFT. Don't get me wrong: Weinberg's textbooks (I know his QFT books, the QM book, and the two books on GR and cosmology) are the best textbooks I've ever seen about these subjects. Particularly to really understand relativistic QFT, there's no other way than to learn about the unitary representations of the Poincare group (as there's no other way to really understand non-relativistic QM than to learn about the unitary ray representations of the Galileo group either).

To really appreciate these comprehensibility and completeness of Weinberg's QFT books, it's however helpful to have some preknowledge from somewhat easier QFT books. My favorite for that purpose is

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press (2014)

QFT, however, is a very wide field (it's safe to say that nearly all physics is described by QFT, except gravitation, where no really convincing QFT description (yet) exists), and even Weinberg's books leave out interesting topics. Thus another book, equally well written as and complementary with Weinberg's, is

A. Duncan, The conceptual framework of Quantum Field Theory, Oxford University Press (2012)

Likes FourEyedRaven

1. What is the significance of Weinberg's QM and QFT books in the field of physics?

Weinberg's QM and QFT books are considered to be classic texts in the field of physics. They provide a comprehensive and rigorous treatment of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory, which are essential for understanding the fundamental laws of nature.

2. What makes Weinberg's QM and QFT books stand out compared to other textbooks on the same subject?

Weinberg's QM and QFT books are known for their clarity and depth of coverage. They are highly regarded for their mathematical rigor and emphasis on conceptual understanding, making them a favorite among students and researchers alike.

3. Are Weinberg's QM and QFT books suitable for beginners in the field of physics?

Weinberg's QM and QFT books are not recommended for complete beginners in physics. They assume a solid understanding of undergraduate-level physics and mathematics, and may be challenging for those without this background.

4. Can Weinberg's QM and QFT books be used for self-study?

Yes, Weinberg's QM and QFT books can be used for self-study, but it is recommended to have a strong background in physics and mathematics to fully grasp the concepts presented in the books. It may also be helpful to have a study group or consult with a professor for clarification on difficult topics.

5. How often are Weinberg's QM and QFT books updated?

Weinberg's QM and QFT books have been revised and updated several times since their initial publication in the 1960s. The latest edition is the third edition, published in 2015. As the field of physics continues to evolve, it is likely that future editions of the books will also be published to reflect new developments and discoveries.