Books for overview of QM and/or QFT?

In summary, there are several book suggestions for learning about quantum mechanics and quantum field theory without diving into mathematical formalism. G. Venkataraman's book series "Quantum Revolution" is recommended for beginners as it provides a historical overview and explanations of the basics without too much math. "The Odd Quantum" by Sam Treiman is also suggested as it uses algebra and calculus to clearly convey important concepts. Additionally, "The Theoretical Minimum" by Susskind is mentioned for its simplified approach to explaining quantum mechanics and quantum field theory with minimal math.
laymanB
I am not ready to learn the formalism for QM or QFT (maybe someday).

Does anyone have any book suggestions for a beginner like myself that present the theories in accurate ways without going into all the mathematical formalism? Preferably something that is not tied to one interpretation of the theories so that I don't get confused with the implications of adopting a certain interpretation. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can read G. Venkataraman's book series Quantum Revolution (3 parts). The 3 parts are:

1. The Breakthrough
2. QED - The Jewel of Physics
3. What is Reality?

The three books do not have too much mathematical rigour, and are useful for starting with Quantum. The books explain the basics along with the associated history. I myself started with this book.

Likes laymanB
How much math are you willing to tolerate? I found The Odd Quantum by Sam Treiman to be an excellent introduction to QM and QFT. He uses some algebra and a touch of calculus, not so much to formally derive equations, but to concisely and clearly express important concepts. You might give it a look.

Likes laymanB
Well, you are asking for the impossible. It's like asking to tell you something without using any appropriate language. I like the books by Susskind, called the theoretical minimum. There are 3 volumes yet (Classical Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, E&M and Relativity). I only know the latter two, but they are very nice with really the minimum of math making "the things as simple as possible but not simpler". Also don't listen to people who claim math isn't fun. I promise you, in fact it is!

Likes laymanB and BvU

1. What is the difference between quantum mechanics (QM) and quantum field theory (QFT)?

Quantum mechanics and quantum field theory are both branches of physics that study the behavior of matter and energy at the microscopic level. However, QM focuses on the behavior of individual particles, while QFT takes into account the interactions between particles and the fields that they create.

2. What are some recommended books for an overview of QM and/or QFT?

Some popular books for an overview of QM and/or QFT include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand QM and QFT?

Yes, a strong mathematical background is necessary to fully understand QM and QFT. These theories involve complex mathematical concepts such as linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis.

4. What are some real-world applications of QM and QFT?

QM and QFT have a wide range of applications in various fields, including material science, condensed matter physics, quantum computing, and particle physics. Some specific examples include the development of new electronic devices, the study of superconductors, and the search for new particles at the Large Hadron Collider.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning QM and QFT?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning QM and QFT, including video lectures, online courses, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites for these resources include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.