Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Weinberg Lectures on QM (2013 ed.), Equation 6.5.5

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,

I'm a bit puzzled by the derivation of this formula, in particular since the definition of the "overbar" notation is a bit fuzzy (see Formula 6.4.1). Does anyone have a more formal definition of the correlation function in this setting (I know what a CF is, in general)? In this particular instance, I guess one just needs to consider the average of a product of 4 i.i.d. variables as a product of two averages of 2 i.i.d. variables to get the result. But I would have preferred a clearer definition of the notion involved. Any idea where to find a proper one?.

Thanks,

Pierre

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to state these formulas explicitly for readers who don't have the boo.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3
    Sure.

The overline notation is such that (quote from the book) "a line over a quantity indicates an average over fluctuations." Introduce a perturbation Hamiltonian matrix in an electric field ##\mathbf{E}## as (simplified) :
    $$H'_{nm}(t) = e \mathbf{x}_{nm}.\mathbf{E}.$$
    Now assume that
    $$\overline{E_i(t_1)E_j(t_2)} = \delta_{ij}f( t_1 - t_2).$$
    Then Equation 6.5.5 states that
    $$\overline{H'_{nm}(t_1)H'^*_{nm}(t_2)} = e^2 | \mathbf{x}_{nm} | ^2 f( t_1 - t_2).$$
    Even though it's somewhat intuitive, I was looking for a more formal definition of the "overline" notation and of its use here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted