Weinberg Lectures on QM (2013 ed.), Equation 6.5.5

In summary, Pierre is seeking a clearer definition of the correlation function used in Formula 6.4.1. He mentions that the overbar notation signifies an average over fluctuations and provides an example of its application in the context of a perturbation Hamiltonian matrix. However, he is looking for a more formal definition of this notation and its use in this specific instance.
jouvelot
Hi everyone,

I'm a bit puzzled by the derivation of this formula, in particular since the definition of the "overbar" notation is a bit fuzzy (see Formula 6.4.1). Does anyone have a more formal definition of the correlation function in this setting (I know what a CF is, in general)? In this particular instance, I guess one just needs to consider the average of a product of 4 i.i.d. variables as a product of two averages of 2 i.i.d. variables to get the result. But I would have preferred a clearer definition of the notion involved. Any idea where to find a proper one?.

Thanks,

Pierre

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to state these formulas explicitly for readers who don't have the boo.

Sure.

The overline notation is such that (quote from the book) "a line over a quantity indicates an average over fluctuations." Introduce a perturbation Hamiltonian matrix in an electric field ##\mathbf{E}## as (simplified) :
$$H'_{nm}(t) = e \mathbf{x}_{nm}.\mathbf{E}.$$
Now assume that
$$\overline{E_i(t_1)E_j(t_2)} = \delta_{ij}f( t_1 - t_2).$$
Then Equation 6.5.5 states that
$$\overline{H'_{nm}(t_1)H'^*_{nm}(t_2)} = e^2 | \mathbf{x}_{nm} | ^2 f( t_1 - t_2).$$
Even though it's somewhat intuitive, I was looking for a more formal definition of the "overline" notation and of its use here.

1. What does Equation 6.5.5 in the Weinberg Lectures on QM (2013 ed.) represent?

Equation 6.5.5 is a mathematical expression that describes the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system. It is a part of the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

2. Why is Equation 6.5.5 important in quantum mechanics?

Equation 6.5.5 is important because it allows us to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular state at a specific time. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum particles and making predictions about their behavior.

3. How is Equation 6.5.5 derived?

Equation 6.5.5 is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics, including the wave function and the Hamiltonian operator. It is a result of applying the Schrödinger equation to a specific system and solving for the time evolution of the system.

4. Can Equation 6.5.5 be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, Equation 6.5.5 can be applied to all quantum systems, including atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the properties and interactions of the system.

5. How does Equation 6.5.5 relate to the uncertainty principle?

Equation 6.5.5 is a part of the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics, which also includes the uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. Equation 6.5.5 is used to calculate the probability distributions of position and momentum in a quantum system, which are subject to the uncertainty principle.