1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weinberg, Vol. 1: Path Integrals Query

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    I am trying to study QFT from Weinberg's Vol. 1.

I am at the moment stuck at the path integral quantization of QED (Weinberg's treatment).

I am not sure how he integrates out the matter field momenta (for the spinor field) in eq. (9.6.5). I thought for spinor fields you don't do that.

I thought that there should be integration with respect to p_m as given in eq. (9.5.56).

Any help will be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

I think he just didn't bother to write [itex]d\psi^\dagger[/itex]. This is essentially a matter of convention as to whether we think of [itex]\psi^\dagger[/itex] as an independent field or not.

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    QFT: Path Integrals, Weinberg Vol. 1

I had e-mailed SW about this, he told me that it was integrated out.

My understanding is fairly minimal, but from (9.5.1), (9.5.49) and (9.5.52), I didn't think
    the adjoint spinor could be integrated out. If you could give me a reference, and/or a hint that would be great. I thought one needed equal amounts of \psi and \psi adjoint terms.

Thanks for your message.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?