1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird group isomorphism problem

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the group Z/<(a,b)> is isomorphic to Z if gcd(a,b)=1. Find generators of Z/<(a,b)>.

2. Relevant information
    Please note that the question is asking for Z/<(a,b)>, not ZxZ/<(a,b)>. I am having trouble understanding the meaning behind <(a,b)> as a subgroup of Z. My professor only gave the hint that <(a,b)> is cyclic and has an analogous case for ZxZ/<(a,b)> if gcd(a,b)=1.

3. The attempt at a solution
    From my understanding, <(a,b)> should represent the set generated by a and b, ie, <(a,b)>={ n*a+m*b | n and m are integers }. However, for a and b s.t. gcd(a,b)=1, there are integers n and m such that n*a+m*b=1, in which case every element in Z can be generated from this linear combination.

This is clearly not the case since Z/<(a,b)> would be Z/Z={0}.

Does anyone have any idea what else <(a,b)> could be in this context

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2
    Normally, the group generated by a and b is written <a,b>. Also, gcd(a,b) is sometimes written (a,b). So maybe Z/<(a,b)> is actually Z/<1>. But that doesn't help either. Where did you find this problem?

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3
    It came up during class following the problem ZxZ/<(7,37)>. Apparently these two problems share some similar characteristics.

5. Mar 5, 2009 #4
    anyone?

6. Mar 5, 2009 #5
    Have you tried working out the problem with ZxZ instead of Z? I'm pretty sure it should be ZxZ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook