1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Well-ordered set of Natural Numbers

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    Hi,
    I was reading "Introduction To Set Theory" by Karel Hrbacek and Thomas Jeck and stuck with some logical trap in the proposition that "([tex]\textbf{N}[/tex],[tex]\prec[/tex]) is a well ordered set" where [tex]\textbf{N}[/tex] is set of all natural numbers. I will try to present the argument briefly to clarify the subjective trap that i am facing.

First, the least element is defined as,
    If R is an ordering of set A and B[tex]\subseteq[/tex]A, then b[tex]\in[/tex]B is called least element of B in the ordering R if bRx for all x[tex]\in[/tex]B

Second,
    The relation [tex]\prec[/tex] on [tex]\textbf{N}[/tex] is defined as follows,
    m[tex]\prec[/tex]n if and only if m[tex]\in[/tex]n

Third, ([tex]\textbf{N}[/tex],[tex]\prec[/tex]) is a linearly ordered set because [tex]\prec[/tex] is a strict ordering on [tex]\textbf{N}[/tex] and every two elements of the [tex]\textbf{N}[/tex] is comparable in [tex]\prec[/tex]

Fourth, (A,R) will be called well-ordered if every non-empty subset of A has least element in the linear ordering R.

Now, the the the trap is,
    if ([tex]\textbf{N}[/tex],[tex]\prec[/tex]) is a well ordered set, then every non empty subset of [tex]\textbf{N}[/tex] will have least element in [tex]\prec[/tex].
    Suppose, B={n} for some n[tex]\in[/tex][tex]\textbf{N}[/tex]
    So, B is a subset of [tex]\textbf{N}[/tex] and if we say that S has least element, b, then
    b[tex]\prec[/tex]x for all x[tex]\in[/tex]B
    Since B is singleton, it implies from above assumption that n[tex]\prec[/tex]n or n[tex]\in[/tex]n , which i guess violates Axiom of Choice.

I may have misinterpreted some (or all) of the definition, thats why i am here asking for help. I am not a Math Professional or Math Student but pursue Math for personal interest of theory, so if i have asked very stupid question i do apologize for that.

Regards
    SR

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, so, since you are talking about m being a member= of n, this is the model for the natural numbers in which 0= empty set, 1= set whose only member is the empty set, 2 is the set whose only members are 1 and 2, etc.

You mean that B is the set containing the single natural number "n"? But what is S here? I think you meant B itself. Obviously, if B contains only the natural number n, then its least element is n. Oh, I see your difficulty. This definition is strict inequality. Clearly, it is impossible for any member of a set B to be strictly less than every member of B- it can't be strictly less than itself! You need to say "b is the least element of B if and only if it is less than every other member of B". That is [itex]b\prec a[/itex] for every [itex]a\in B[/itex] and [itex]a\ne b[/itex].

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

Oops, thats my mistake. Yes , it should be B instead of S.
    That means B does not have a least element as per as the above definition of least element in a strict ordering, since B={n} and n=n .

Then set of all natural numbers is not well-ordered, because each subset of N is supposed have least element in [tex]\prec[/tex] in order to be called as well-ordered.

Regards
    SR

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?