1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Well rounded list of books for starting a home mathematics library.

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    I have taken all maths through Calculus I in high school, which was back in 2008. I am back in college again, this time with a renewed interest in math and philosophy. Without going into too much detail, I think it safe to say that the last thing on my mind in high school was school, which I very much regret, however well I actually did (3.85 GPA, National Honors Society). I retained much of what I learned and found it all relatively easy (with the exception of vectors). However, I didn't have quite the passion for math that I have now. I want to restudy all of what I learned, but in greater detail. Also, I have found that I am very much fascinated by classical math literature and the history of how different topics of math evolved over time.

The only worry I have about buying books without the advise of others is studying for a long period of time only to find that there are gaps in my knowledge or whole topics/concepts that I have skipped.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2
    If you want more rigor in math, try Spivak's Calculus (eventhough cliche)
    Good Luck:smile:

4. Aug 7, 2011 #3
    for calculus this is the book for you:

books?id=189kAkcrpYQC&pg=PP1&img=1&zoom=3&hl=en&sig=ACfU3U1KVSYCnrjQzU20PhZOK1Sh809d9w&w=575.jpg

it was never intended to be a textbook or a history book, but in illustration of the main ideas of calculus through the issues that came up for the people studying it.

I guess "more detailed" could also mean intro analysis (like little Rudin), & there are about a dozen good books on that stuff.

5. Aug 7, 2011 #4
    How about more advanced topics? Try checking out a list of mathematical topics (on arXiV or Wikipedia) and see which one jumps out at you the most. A field you've been dying to learn about, or even a field that just "sounds cool." Then go to a library (probably a uni's) and check out some books on the topic to see if you like it.
    This way, you'll get a pretty broad understanding of what's out there and you can focus on the stuff you like and not what we recommend.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook