Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Westell 327W Wireless Modem/Router

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

A friend has one with his DSL service. I was planning to put in a wireless router (which I may still do depending on need) and discovered that the Westell 327W modem also has a built in router with cable/wireless capability.

There is a forum that deals with DSL matters, and it addresses this particular system.

I found this useful.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12262394

Note in method one -
    192.168.5.2. should be 192.168.50.2 - the third numbers (octet) should be the same.

One can use the modem/router strictly as a modem and let the separate router be the network (LAN and DHCP) controller.

I'm used to a dump modem without the router built in.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

turbo

Gold Member

I had a separate DSL modem and wireless router years back, and when we moved out here, the phone company supplied a DSL modem/router with both wireless and corded ethernet capabilities. Now I have a very expensive/currently useless Linksys wireless router kicking around. If you want it, say the word and I'll ship it to you.

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well I may have a surplus wireless router now, since I didn't check my friend's system first and just assumed he had a DSL modem, and I didn't think to ask first or check it out. Had I known that he had a Westell 327W or equivalent then I wouldn't have bothered buying a wireless router. On the other hand, depending on how well the Westell works, we might still use the Linksys for added security.

My friend is looking for the Westell documentation because I need to access the setup/config pages which are password protected.

So folks - keep track of your documentation - particularly usernames and passwords. Passworks should be 8+ characters including special characters like @#$%^&*!, but not so complicated you can't remember them.

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    Do you still have that extra Linksys router? If so, if it is "G", does it still need a new home?

Thanks!

6. Apr 25, 2008 #5
    Finally got my parents to get DSL & Verison sends them that Westell (Model Number
    D90-327W15-06). What a pain! My mom runs into trouble every now & again, and now I can't netmeeting and/ or rdc. Saw directions, but can't get it 2 work right...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  7. Apr 25, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

It WAS a G and it is in a new home already. Sorry!

8. Apr 25, 2008 #7

Thanks 4 the quick response!

Have a great weekend!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?