Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

We've came a long way with inverters

1. Feb 22, 2012 #1

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While looking into the early electrolytic rectifiers inspired by tiny-tims post in the "Question about polarized capacitors" thread, I got to thinking about these mechanical vibrators used in early auto radios for generating a.c.

http://www.redwoodradio.com/images/Radio_Vib_400.jpg

I bet there are a few old members here that remember them?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

I have replaced many of them in car radios. I noticed that the "vibrator" pictured operates on 6 Volts! That's really an ancient relic... a museum piece!

4. Feb 22, 2012 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"I bet there are a few old members here that remember them?"

takes me right back to my '49 Buick Roadmaster.....
    push-pull 6V6's and a Jensen speaker in rear deck.
    WVCG was local classical music station..

5. Feb 22, 2012 #4

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They were not only used in car radios they were used in large console radios as well. Back in the day alot of places did not have comercial power available so radios were manufactured to run on batteries. They used tubes that had a 1 volt filament or very close to this, all in series. I have one, it works other than having a bad audio output transformer. Of course this was after cleaning up the points in the vibrator. THE hardest metal I have ever run a file across.

6. Feb 22, 2012 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We both are probably museum pieces. :devil:

Ah. The 6V6. Makes me want to touch B+. :surprised

I guess I don't remember seeing any of these. :cool:

7. Feb 22, 2012 #6

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See? You aren't that old. Haha.

8. Feb 22, 2012 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i have a couple battery sets in barn, they use #30 tube with a "B" battery

Hammond still makes a nice line of tube output transformers......
    http://www.hammondmfg.com/5caud.htm

9. Feb 22, 2012 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I remember my parents having a battery operated "portable" tube radio. If I remember correctly, it used a 96 volt battery. I was very young and don't remember hearing a vibrator.

10. Feb 23, 2012 #9

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for the link Jim. I am familiar with Hammond because of their enclosures but until now the output transformer had been low enough on the priority list so I had not really given it a thought. But it was nice to have been given a reminder.

11. Feb 23, 2012 #10

cmb

Rotary converters still have their place in the scope of inverter technology. Benefits include buffering of input power and pure sinusoid output. These were amongst the very first AC-DC/DC-AC converter devices.

12. Feb 23, 2012 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

indeed, and their overload characteristics for fault clearing are better. We used one with a half ton flywheel for "ride through"

13. Feb 26, 2012 #12

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It probably used two batteries, the high voltage one and a low voltage low impedance battery for the filaments. Maybe it clipped to a car battery for a longer life?

The vibrator allowed a car battery to operate a valve radio, by chopping the DC and feeding it through a transformer. Vibrators are wasteful.

14. Feb 26, 2012 #13

turbo

Gold Member

My father's cars (yes, starting back in the 50s) had 6v6 output tubes for a long time. DELCO made a lot of car radios. It took a while to get them warmed up, but they were quite reliable and durable. I used to try to repair and restore smaller guitar amps when I was a kid (HS-age) and I certainly wasn't above going through the local car bone-yards to scavenge tubes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook