What am I doing wrong in attempting to solve this system of differenti

• Thread starter ainster31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: Again, this is easy to solve by integrating twice.In summary, the system of differential equations can be solved by integrating twice to get x and y, and then plugging those solutions into the original equations to check for validity. Using Laplace transforms may lead to a more complex solution that does not satisfy the initial conditions.
ainster31

Homework Statement

What am I doing wrong in attempting to solve this system of differential equations?

Problem:$$\quad x''+y''=t^{ 2 }\quad \quad x''-y''=4t\quad \quad x(0)=8\quad x'(0)=y(0)=y'(0)=0\\ \\$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt:$$\\ s^{ 2 }L\{ x\} -sx(0)-x'(0)+{ s }^{ 2 }L\{ y\} -sy(0)-y'(0)=2/{ s }^{ 3 }\\ { s }^{ 5 }L\{ x\} -8{ s }^{ 4 }+{ s }^{ 5 }L\{ y\} =2\quad \quad (1)\\ \\ { s }^{ 4 }L\{ x\} -8{ s }^{ 3 }-{ s }^{ 4 }L\{ y\} =4\quad \quad (2)\\ \\ (1)-(2)\cdot s:\quad 16s^{ 4 }+2s^{ 5 }L\{ y\} =2-4s\\ L\{ y\} =\frac { -8 }{ s } -\frac { 2 }{ { s }^{ 4 } } +\frac { 1 }{ { s }^{ 5 } } \\ y=-8-\frac { { t }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } +\frac { { t }^{ 4 } }{ 24 } \\ Sub\quad L\{ y\} \quad into\quad (2)\\ L\{ x\} =\frac { 2+1/2 }{ { s }^{ 4 } } \\ x=\frac { { t }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } +\frac { { t }^{ 4 } }{ 24 }$$

I know my attempt is wrong because x(0)=8 but if I compute x(0), I get 0. My prof's solution is also wrong for the same reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

What am I doing wrong in attempting to solve this system of differential equations?

Problem:$$\quad x''+y''=t^{ 2 }\quad \quad x''-y''=4t\quad \quad x(0)=8\quad x'(0)=y(0)=y'(0)=0\\ \\$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt:$$\\ s^{ 2 }L\{ x\} -sx(0)-x'(0)+{ s }^{ 2 }L\{ y\} -sy(0)-y'(0)=2/{ s }^{ 3 }\\ { s }^{ 5 }L\{ x\} -8{ s }^{ 4 }+{ s }^{ 5 }L\{ y\} =2\quad \quad (1)\\ \\ { s }^{ 4 }L\{ x\} -8{ s }^{ 3 }-{ s }^{ 4 }L\{ y\} =4\quad \quad (2)\\ \\ (1)-(2)\cdot s:\quad 16s^{ 4 }+2s^{ 5 }L\{ y\} =2-4s\\ L\{ y\} =\frac { -8 }{ s } -\frac { 2 }{ { s }^{ 4 } } +\frac { 1 }{ { s }^{ 5 } } \\ y=-8-\frac { { t }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } +\frac { { t }^{ 4 } }{ 24 } \\ Sub\quad L\{ y\} \quad into\quad (2)\\ L\{ x\} =\frac { 2+1/2 }{ { s }^{ 4 } } \\ x=\frac { { t }^{ 3 } }{ 3 } +\frac { { t }^{ 4 } }{ 24 }$$

I know my attempt is wrong because x(0)=8 but if I compute x(0), I get 0. My prof's solution is also wrong for the same reason.

Are you required to use Laplace transforms on this? It turns out to be much simpler by other means.

Here's what I'm talking about.
x'' + y'' = t2
x'' - y'' = 4t

Add the first equation to the second to get 2x'' = t2 + 4t, or x'' = (1/2)t2 + 2t. This is easy to solve by integrating twice.

To get an equation involving only y derivatives, subtract the second equation from the first, to get 2y'' = t2 - 4t, or y'' = (1/2)t2 - 2t .

1. What does it mean to "solve a system of differential equations"?

Solving a system of differential equations means finding the mathematical expressions that describe the relationship between a set of variables and their rates of change over time. This allows us to predict how the variables will change in the future, given their current values.

2. Why is it difficult to solve a system of differential equations?

There are several reasons why solving a system of differential equations can be challenging. First, the equations may be nonlinear, meaning that the variables are raised to powers or multiplied together, making them difficult to solve algebraically. Additionally, the equations may be coupled, meaning that they are dependent on each other, making it difficult to isolate a single variable. Lastly, there may not be a closed-form solution, meaning that the equations cannot be solved using standard mathematical methods.

3. What are some common methods for solving a system of differential equations?

The most common methods for solving a system of differential equations are numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve breaking down the equations into smaller time steps and using iterative calculations to approximate the solution. Other methods include separation of variables, substitution, and matrix methods.

4. How do I know if I am making a mistake while solving a system of differential equations?

There are a few signs that you may be making a mistake while solving a system of differential equations. One common mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of a function when using a method like separation of variables. Another mistake is not simplifying expressions before solving them. Additionally, if your solution does not satisfy all of the original equations, then you may have made a mistake.

5. What can I do if I am having trouble solving a system of differential equations?

If you are struggling to solve a system of differential equations, there are a few things you can try. First, double check your work to make sure you have not made any mistakes. You can also try using different methods or numerical software to solve the equations. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a colleague or instructor who has experience with solving differential equations.