1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What am I doing wrong? Simple Projectile motion calculations.

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    Ok, I have used every calculator I can find, typed it in several different ways for the past three hours and at this point I am giving up and asking for help.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rock is thrown from the edge of a 14 meter high cliff with a velocity of total magnitude of 7m/s. Find the final velocity with which the rock hits the ground if it was launched initially upward.

2. Relevant equations
    OK so we have
    delta D - 14m (downward, negative)
    V1 - 7m/s
    V2 - Solve for
    A - 9.8m/s^2 (down) (let upward be positive so this would be negative)
    delta T - Solve for.

For equations - (upward throw)
    Vfinal^2 = Vinitial^2+2AD
    Vfinal^2 = 7^2 + 2 (-9.8^2)(-14)

So V final = square root ( (7^2) + 2(9.8^2)(-14)
    Final answer I got is 52.32.

This is a practice question so they list the answer and the answer is supposedly plus or minus 17.98m/s.

What am I doing wrong???!?!?

I thought maybe calculator when squaring a negative number does not turn it into a positive (ie. -9.8x-9.8 = positive number) and therefore threw off answer but when done that way it is multiplied with negative 17 and I cannot ask for square root of a negative..

Been trying to troubleshoot this too long and its driving me nuts! Any and all help is SO appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi dylanjames. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Get rid of that ^2 around acceleration, it doesn't belong.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Nov 4, 2014 #3
    ........thank you. boy doesn't that make me feel stupid!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted