1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find acceleration given only angle of slope and coefficient of friction?

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A crate is placed on an inclined board. The coefficient of friction between the crate and the board is 0.26 , and the angle of the slope is 16 degrees. Calculate the acceleration of the crate down the incline.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    Ff=umgcos(theta)
    Forge of gravity parallel = mgsin(theta)

3. The attempt at a solution
    F=ma
    Fg - Ff = ma
    mgsin(theta) - umgcos(theta) = ma
    so this is where it gets tricky for me.. i've tried factoring and removing a mass from each side.. but i'm still left with one mass.
    What do i do? :/

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

From here:

mgsinθ - umgcosθ = ma

your mass 'm' cancels out, so the acceleration does not depend on the mass.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    sorry I'm still confused, but which mass comes out? or all the masses cancel out? when i try that, I don't get the answer.

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

All of the 'm's in the equation are the same, so they all cancel out.

6. Sep 24, 2012 #5
    Ah true okay thank you sir, help very much appreciated, so then I would just do:

gsinθ - ugcosθ = a

Now does the equation above work? because I think I remember trying this cancelling out all of the m's, and I got a wrong answer, but I probably did my math wrong. I'll check once I finish with my chemistry and math homework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook