What angle will make the resultant of three forces vertical? [with picture]

  • Thread starter Thread starter SUCRALOSE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Systems
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
SUCRALOSE
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
I have tried everything on this one that I can think of.

I understand that the forces in the horizontal are 0, but I don't know where to start.

says: determine the angle for which the resultant of the three forces is vertical. See Picture.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please see this picture for above question.
 
Attachments
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 452
SUCRALOSE said:
I have tried everything on this one that I can think of.

I understand that the forces in the horizontal are 0, but I don't know where to start.

says: determine the angle for which the resultant of the three forces is vertical. See Picture.

What is the sum of the horizontal components of the two, fully defined forces?
 
The sum of the horizontal components, in the x direction, is:

70(cos140) + 80(cos165) = -131lb

to take it further;

70(sin140) + 80(sin165) = 66lb

r= (-131)2 + (66)2 = 147 lbs

inverse tan = 66/-131 = -27 degrees(I think I get it now) the resultant is vertical up.. so the sum of the left side is the same as right side...
 
Last edited:
SUCRALOSE said:
The sum of the horizontal components, in the x direction, is:

70(cos140) + 80(cos165) = -131lb

to take it further;

70(sin140) + 80(sin165) = 66lb

r= (-131)2 + (66)2 = 147 lbs

inverse tan = 66/-131 = -27 degrees


(I think I get it now) the resultant is vertical up.. so the sum of the left side is the same as right side...

Exactly, and with your creative use of 140o and 165o angles, you could simply have said

70(cos140o) + 80(cos165o) + 150(cosθ) = 0
 
Thanks lots Peter,

At first I was trying to rearrange " 70(cos140o) + 80(cos165o) + 150(cosθ) = 0" for the unknown angle and was frustrated as to why that wouldn't work.

tricky trick question.

Thanks, now I can sleep, lol.