Resultant of three forces about a point O

In summary, the conversation is about finding the resultant of 3 forces around a point in a 2-D plane, as well as determining perpendicular and horizontal distances. The speaker mentions a study guide provided by their teacher that includes information about 2-D moments. The speaker is asking for clarification on the problem and their approach.
BigJon
My question is to find the resultant just take the x,y components of each force, find the magnitude by squaring them and taking the square root. My question is after doing that how would i find the perpendicular and horizontal distances.

My teacher put a study guide for our test and it said resultant of 3 forces about a point, 2-D, 2-D moments.

Maybe i misinterpreting what he really wants?

The picture is not the actual problem just an example.

Attachments

• 20121030_215324.jpg
    20121030_215324.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
The language of your query is confusing. Please explain accurately what you are given and what you are supposed to find. Then explain your approach and your difficulty with the approach.

What is the definition of "Resultant of three forces about a point O"?

The resultant of three forces about a point O refers to the single force that has the same effect on an object as the combination of the three original forces. It is the net force acting on the object.

How do you calculate the resultant of three forces about a point O?

To calculate the resultant of three forces about a point O, you can use the parallelogram method or the triangle method. These methods involve drawing a vector diagram and finding the sum of the three vectors using trigonometric functions.

What is the importance of finding the resultant of three forces about a point O?

Finding the resultant of three forces about a point O is important because it helps us understand the overall effect of multiple forces on an object. It allows us to simplify a complex system of forces into a single force, making it easier to analyze and predict the motion of the object.

What happens if the three forces are not concurrent?

If the three forces are not concurrent, meaning they do not intersect at the same point, then the resultant force will have a direction and magnitude that is different from the original forces. This is because the non-concurrent forces create a moment, or a turning effect, which needs to be taken into account when calculating the resultant force.

Can the resultant of three forces about a point O be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the resultant of three forces about a point O to be zero. This occurs when the three forces are in equilibrium, meaning they cancel each other out and there is no net force acting on the object. In this case, the object will either remain at rest or continue moving with a constant velocity.