Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are Cumulative Distribution Functions?

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    As I understand, Cumulative Distribution Functions gives the probability that a value X be lower than what is estimated. Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    It tells you the probability of getting at most x (ie P(X ≤ x)). If the function is continuous it will be:
    ∫ p(x)dx from -inf to x

4. May 8, 2012 #3
    If I've graph where the Y axis represents the CDF, and the YY values goes from 0 to 1, what it means?

Imagine a graph that as the XX values grow, the YY values also grow.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. May 8, 2012 #4
    The Y-axis on the CDF graph represents P(X ≤ x)
    The CDF always goes from 0 to 1 (because you cannot have less than 0% chance of getting something and no more than 100%)

Well, lets take the classic coin toss as a discrete example:

You flip the coin twice. You count the number of heads (i.e. heads = 1, tails = 0)
    You have four possibilities:

0+0 = 0
    0+1 = 1
    1+0 = 1
    1+1 = 2

I guess you know that the probability of getting any of these specific outcomes is equal to 1/4. The probability of getting P(X ≤ 0) = 1/4 (i.e. only 0+0)

The probability of getting P(X ≤ 1) is 3/4. Why? Because three of the possibilities above are equal to or less than 1 (0+0, 0+1 and 1+0).

P(X ≤ 2) = 1 because all of the possibilities above are equal to or less than 2..

Last edited: May 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook