What are f(0), f(1), and f(-1) in the equation f(x)= 2x^2- 3x+ 7?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, using the given equation f(x) = ax^2+bx+c and the given values of f(0) = 7, f(1) = 6, and f(-1) = 12, the value of c is found to be 7 and the values of a and b are found to be 2 and -3 respectively. This results in the equation f(x)= 2x^2- 3x+ 7. By plugging in values for x, f(0) = 7, f(1) = 6, and f(-1) = 12, we can confirm that these values are correct.
mathdad
Given f(x) = ax^2+bx+c, where a, b and c are constants, if f(0)=7,what is the value of c? Given that f(1)=6 and f(-1)=12, find the value of a and b.

My Work:

f(0) = 7

7 = a(0)^2 + b(0) + c

7 = 0 + 0 + c

7 = c

f(1) = 6

6 = a(1)^2 + b(1) + 7

6 = a + b + 7

6 - 7 = a + b

- 1 = a + b...Equation A

f(-1) = 12

12 = a(-1)^2 + b(-1) + 7

12 = a - b + 7

12 - 7 = a - b...Equation B

Equations A and B produce a system of equations.

- 1 = a + b...Equation A
12 - 7 = a - b...Equation B

Solving the system of equations for a and b, I found a to be 2 and b to be -3.

Is this correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's easy to check it yourself, isn't it? You are saying that a= 2, b= -3 and c= 7 so you are saying that f(x)= 2x^2- 3x+ 7. So, using that formula, what are f(0), f(1), and f(-1)?

HallsofIvy said:
It's easy to check it yourself, isn't it? You are saying that a= 2, b= -3 and c= 7 so you are saying that f(x)= 2x^2- 3x+ 7. So, using that formula, what are f(0), f(1), and f(-1)?

Ok.

- - - Updated - - -

HallsofIvy said:

Ok. It feels good to solve a math problem.

1. How do I find the values of a, b, and c in a quadratic equation?

In order to find the values of a, b, and c in a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Plug in the values of a, b, and c into this formula to solve for x.

2. What is the importance of finding the values of a, b, and c in a quadratic equation?

Finding the values of a, b, and c in a quadratic equation allows you to graph the equation and understand the behavior of the graph. It also allows you to find the x-intercepts, or solutions, of the equation.

3. Can I use any method other than the quadratic formula to find the values of a, b, and c?

Yes, you can also use factoring or completing the square to find the values of a, b, and c in a quadratic equation. However, the quadratic formula is the most reliable and efficient method.

4. How can I check if my values of a, b, and c are correct?

You can check your values of a, b, and c by plugging them back into the original equation and seeing if it results in a true statement. You can also graph the equation to see if it matches the given points or behavior.

5. Is it possible to have more than one set of values for a, b, and c in a quadratic equation?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple sets of values for a, b, and c that result in the same quadratic equation. This is because the quadratic formula can give both positive and negative solutions, and factoring can result in different combinations of factors.