[ASK] Stuck on a Quadratic Equation

In summary, the given equation with a whole number a has positive roots, and if x_1>x_2, then the difference between x_2 and x_1 can be determined by finding the single value of a, which is 2.
Monoxdifly
MHB
The equation \(\displaystyle (a-1)x^2-4ax+4a+7=0\) with a is a whole number has positive roots. If \(\displaystyle x_1>x_2\) then \(\displaystyle x_2-x_1=...\)
A. –8
B. –5
C. –2
D. 2
E. 8

Since the equation has positive roots then \(\displaystyle x_1>0\) and \(\displaystyle x_2>0\) thus \(\displaystyle x_1+x_2>0\) and \(\displaystyle x_1x_2>0\)

\(\displaystyle x_1+x_2>0\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{-(-4a)}{a-1}>0\)

\(\displaystyle x_1x_2>0\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{4a+7}{a-1}>0\)

However I progressed, I couldn't determine a as a single value and only found it as a set of certain whole numbers. Can you help me to find the single value of a? Once I know that. I guess I can continue on my own.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$b^2-4ac = 16a^2 - 4(a-1)(4a+7) > 0 \implies 4(7-3a) > 0 \implies a \in \{0,1,2\}$

of those three possible values for $a$, only $a=2$ yields positive roots ... $x = 3$ & $x = 5$

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation of the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is a polynomial equation of degree 2 and has one or two solutions.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The method you use will depend on the specific equation and your personal preference.

3. What is the quadratic formula?

The quadratic formula is a formula used to solve quadratic equations. It states that the solutions to the equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0 are given by x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. This formula can be derived by completing the square on the quadratic equation.

4. Can all quadratic equations be solved?

Yes, all quadratic equations can be solved using the quadratic formula. However, some equations may have complex or imaginary solutions.

5. How can I check my answer to a quadratic equation?

You can check your answer by substituting the value of x into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also graph the equation and see if the solutions match the x-intercepts of the graph.