What are my chances for getting accepted to graduate school in astrophysics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 15K views
avpan said:
Also, I am applying to astronomy departments rather than physics departments for most of the schools. Only Davis, Irvine for physics since astronomy is combined with physics. I have known that physics competition was always a lot stronger.

Where on Earth did you get that idea?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
eliya said:
People keep saying that where you go for undergrad doesn't matter for grad school applications, but are you implying here that top-something schools will be more generous towards applicants from good or equally ranked schools?

No, I am implying a letter of recommendation from MIT that says "this os our best student this year" will be given more weight than a letter of recommendation from East Cupcake Community College that says the same thing.
 
You will not get accepted into a top 50 school. Aim for top 125-75.
 
No, I am implying a letter of recommendation from MIT that says "this os our best student this year" will be given more weight than a letter of recommendation from East Cupcake Community College that says the same thing.

Oh, that's a very good point. I was about to say "well, it's really the prestige of the professor that matters more", but then I caught myself and saw that it contained the "best student this year" comment.

BUT...

It is certainly much easier to be the "best student" this year in a state university than at MIT. Furthermore, a professor at a state university could say that "this UG is better than many of my grad students".
 
Simfish said:
It is certainly much easier to be the "best student" this year in a state university than at MIT.

Which is why the comment carries more weight coming from a strong school.
 
That's true. For truly exceptional students, a recommendation from MIT would carry more weight. But for students who probably aren't super-exceptional but still quite competent (which would probably apply to most people who post here), they might get a better letter from a state school.
 
my question is; how good are the OP's chances of getting into any grad school at all?
 
Well I am already invited to do masters at my current university because we have a degree called 5th year masters applied physics. Meaning that applied physics majors like me have the option of staying extra year to complete our masters as long as we graduated with 3.0 or above and get recs and statement of purpose. No PGRE or GRE is required for me to do that. So my plan B is 100% for me.
 
Last edited: