What Are Non-Astrophysical Examples of Experimental Evidence for E=MC^2?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Brewer
Messages
203
Reaction score
0
I have a question that asks for experimental evidence for Einsteins famous E=MC^2 equation that isn't from an astrophysics, but the only evidence I can think of is nuclear fission, but I'm sure this occurs in stars in some way. Would this count as evidence that isn't from astrophysics or would you suggest another type of evidence to satisfy the question?

Any hints as to what the other evidence might be?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Fission isn't normally done in stars. Particle accelerators also provide evidence both of conversion of matter to energy and the other side of the coin: the inertia gained with energy.
 
No I realized that after a further read through my textbook. Its fusion in stars!

Thanks though
 
Brewer said:
I have a question that asks for experimental evidence for Einsteins famous E=MC^2 equation that isn't from an astrophysics, but the only evidence I can think of is nuclear fission, but I'm sure this occurs in stars in some way. Would this count as evidence that isn't from astrophysics or would you suggest another type of evidence to satisfy the question?
Any hints as to what the other evidence might be?
The fission and fussion bombs that have been detonated in this world are pretty good examples of the relationship E = mc2 holding true.

Pete

Note: There are instances of when E = mc2 does not hold, e.g. when a body is under stress.
 
in experiments with alpha decay, the "missing" mass from the remaining particle is transformed into gamma rays via E=mc^2
 
simon009988 said:
in experiments with alpha decay, the "missing" mass from the remaining particle is transformed into gamma rays via E=mc^2
..which is an example of fission (although some people don't like to define the term "fission" in that way - but I do).

It should be noted that mass is conserved in these examples (i.e. "relativistic mass" is conserved)

Pete