Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What are quasars made of?

Tags:
  1. Jun 29, 2016 #1
    So what exactly are quasars made up of?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2016 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

4. Jul 5, 2016 #3
    Perhaps I can add.
    Quasar, quasy stellar. It's from Latin. Thnigs like stars but not stars.
    At first the astronomers thought they were stars, but further observations showed that they were not stars.

5. Jul 5, 2016 #4
    Mostly hydrogen with some helium thrown in. Quasars existed in a time where heavier elements hadn't yet been produced in large numbers.

6. Jul 5, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I doubt very much that this is true.

7. Jul 5, 2016 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It's true. Unlike distant galaxies, quasars appear pointlike in optical telescopes, so just looking at their visible appearance they are indistinguishable from very faint stars. These visible "stars" were apparently correlated with strong radio sources, but it was hard to be sure that the very faint visible "stars" were the same objects as the radio sources. It was only when astronomers realized that the spectra of these objects were highly redshifted that they became convinced they were something very different.

A good reference on the history is here:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.3627.pdf

8. Jul 5, 2016 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Interesting - Sandage's recollections/memoirs do not mention this at all. It's always "point like" or "quasi stellar", even before 1963 when the redshift was determined.

9. Jul 6, 2016 #8
    Actually I read that phrase from this
    https://www.amazon.com/universe-Life-nature-library/dp/B0006AY1WC
    In mid 1980, when I was in junior high.
    The Universe David Bergamini.png
    I didn't know that the book was printed in 1962. I just know today. I don't know how much knowledge in astronomy has changed since 1980s, much less in 2016.

But there's a very interesting phrase from this
    The book was printed in 1962.
    The discovery of quasar is in 1963.
    Either
    - It's a second edition that I read
    - The discovery of quasar not in 1963.
    - My memory tricks me into thinking that I read that phrase from David Bergamini's book.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  10. Jul 10, 2016 #9

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Redshift is largely the only yardstick we have for the distant universe. While it has served us well and made many confirmed predictions that does not 'prove' it is invincible. But, without it we are lost in illusions of reality. We must either place faith in observational evidence or our ancient religious beliefs. I believe the former offers us a better future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted