What are some affordable alternatives for a high pressure air regulator?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
suprant0010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm working on a pneumatics project, which requires me to blast high pressure air through a set of solenoids.

The problem I'm having is controlling the air pressure. The bottle of compressed air comes with around 2000 psi when full. I found out through trial and error that my solenoids refuse to open on anything more than 1200-1300 psi.I tried draining the bottle to a low enough pressure so the solenoids will open. Then I run into the issue of the pressure steadily dropping as I consume it, its no longer useful to me after it gets below 1000 psi.

I tried to track down a high pressure output regulator, but haven't had much luck. There seems to be a few companies out there making them, but they're quite expensive (300$-1000$), such as the one Parker makes. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to those expensive regulators? I can find 400-500 psi regulators all over for around 30$, do I really have to pay 10 times the price for 3 times the pressure?

What common application would use such a regulator? Searching for "high pressure regulator" doesn't seem to be working for me, I figure I could try and search for a particular industrial application that uses them.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The oxygen bottles used for welding are filled to 15 MPa, (2200 psi), the gauge goes up to 30MPa. The pressure reducing valve has right hand threads and should work with high pressure air.