What are some good computer/electrical engineering classes to take?

These are both highly practical skills that are in demand in the workforce. Additionally, it would be beneficial to explore classes in electronics and cyber security, as they are also important areas to have knowledge in. Ultimately, it's important to choose classes that align with your interests and career goals. In summary, as a computer engineering major, it would be beneficial to take classes in computer networking, FPGA design, electronics, and cyber security, as these are practical skills that are in demand in the workforce and align with your interests and career goals.
sloan13
I am a computer engineering major, and the core for EE and CpE are the same. The junior year is where the two programs begin to branch apart. There is an elective spot for a 2000+ class in my major. Which areas would be good to know about in today's workforce? Of course, I would be interested in classes like robotics, but what would be the most practical type of classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Really, it depends on what the job is.

If you really want to make a choice based on what you will use in the workforce, maybe do some job hunting and see what kind of skills are called for in your area. But I don't think it will be too bad if you just go for what interests you.

Thanks. I really haven't started to narrow it down yet. I was just curious. I do find electronics and cyber security to be pretty interesting though.

sloan13 said:
Thanks. I really haven't started to narrow it down yet. I was just curious. I do find electronics and cyber security to be pretty interesting though.

I would recommend taking a class in computer networking or FPGA design.

As a fellow scientist, I would recommend taking classes that focus on both hardware and software aspects of computer and electrical engineering. This will give you a well-rounded understanding of both fields and make you more marketable in today's workforce.

Some good classes to consider would be digital systems design, computer architecture, embedded systems, and programming languages such as C++ and Java. These classes will provide you with a strong foundation in hardware design, programming, and problem-solving skills, which are in high demand in the industry.

In addition, classes in data structures and algorithms, computer networks, and operating systems would also be beneficial as they are essential for developing efficient and secure software systems.

As for the elective spot, I would recommend exploring emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and internet of things (IoT). These areas are rapidly growing and have a high demand for skilled professionals.

Overall, a combination of classes in hardware and software, along with exposure to emerging technologies, would be the most practical for a computer engineering major in today's workforce. I wish you all the best in your studies and future career endeavors.

1. What are the fundamental computer engineering classes I should take?

The fundamental computer engineering classes that you should take include courses in computer programming, computer organization and architecture, digital logic design, and data structures and algorithms. These classes will provide a strong foundation for understanding the principles of computer engineering.

2. Are there any specific electives that would be beneficial for a computer engineering student?

There are several electives that would be beneficial for a computer engineering student, depending on your interests and career goals. Some popular options include courses in computer networks, operating systems, embedded systems, and machine learning. It is also beneficial to take courses in related fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

3. Are there any classes that cover both computer engineering and electrical engineering?

Yes, there are classes that cover both computer engineering and electrical engineering. These classes are often referred to as "computer hardware" or "computer systems" courses and cover topics such as microprocessors, digital systems design, and computer architecture. These classes provide a comprehensive understanding of how computer hardware and software work together.

4. Are there any online classes or resources available for computer and electrical engineering?

Yes, there are many online classes and resources available for computer and electrical engineering. Many universities offer online courses for students who are unable to attend in-person classes. Additionally, there are many online learning platforms such as Coursera, edX, and Udemy that offer a variety of computer and electrical engineering courses. You can also find many resources and tutorials online for specific topics in computer and electrical engineering.

5. Are there any classes that would help me prepare for a career in computer engineering?

There are several classes that would help you prepare for a career in computer engineering, such as courses in programming languages, computer networks, and software engineering. It is also beneficial to gain practical experience through internships or projects, as well as developing strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Taking classes in related fields such as business or communication can also be helpful for a career in computer engineering.