What are some good schools for graduate theoretical stats?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
chimath35
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Could you please list and elaborate as much as you can on schools that are heavy on the theoretical side of statistics? Thank you as I have to have my applications in by December-January for grad school (I plan to enter a PhD program and would like guaranteed funding).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

You haven't stated whether you are applying to graduate programs in the US or outside of the US (in your profile page, you do state that you are from the US). Nor have you specified what your academic background is (from your handle name, I assume you have a math background, but please elaborate further).

At any rate, if you are looking at graduate programs in the US, based on people I know who graduated from these schools, among the top schools for graduate programs in statistics (both theoretical and applied) are Stanford and Berkeley. Other top schools in statistics include the University of Chicago, Harvard, Cornell, UNC, University of Washington, University of Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, and Duke. There may be other schools that I might have missed, so others can chime in.
 
StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

You haven't stated whether you are applying to graduate programs in the US or outside of the US (in your profile page, you do state that you are from the US). Nor have you specified what your academic background is (from your handle name, I assume you have a math background, but please elaborate further).

At any rate, if you are looking at graduate programs in the US, based on people I know who graduated from these schools, among the top schools for graduate programs in statistics (both theoretical and applied) are Stanford and Berkeley. Other top schools in statistics include the University of Chicago, Harvard, Cornell, UNC, University of Washington, University of Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, and Duke. There may be other schools that I might have missed, so others can chime in.

Thanks. I will be finishing a bachelor's degree in mathematics this year. I have very basic non calc based statistic knowledge although I do have some calc based and even joint density probability knowledge. I thoroughly enjoy real analysis and I will be doing independent study this year in real analysis (I took advanced calculus last semester). I will be applying to programs in the United States.
 
chimath35 said:
Thanks. I will be finishing a bachelor's degree in mathematics this year. I have very basic non calc based statistic knowledge although I do have some calc based and even joint density probability knowledge. I thoroughly enjoy real analysis and I will be doing independent study this year in real analysis (I took advanced calculus last semester). I will be applying to programs in the United States.

Thanks for elaborating further. Given what you have informed me, I think the schools I've listed above (Stanford, Berkeley, Chicago, Harvard, Washington, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell) are good schools to apply to. I would suggest if you have a chance while still pursuing your bachelor's degree in math (if you haven't done so already) to pursue a REU in math if at all possible, preferably with a researcher involved in theoretical statistics, to gain further experience in research and improve your chances for admission.

Best of luck!