1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are some good schools for graduate theoretical stats?

1. Aug 17, 2015 #1
    Could you please list and elaborate as much as you can on schools that are heavy on the theoretical side of statistics? Thank you as I have to have my applications in by December-January for grad school (I plan to enter a PhD program and would like guaranteed funding).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2015 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

To the OP:

You haven't stated whether you are applying to graduate programs in the US or outside of the US (in your profile page, you do state that you are from the US). Nor have you specified what your academic background is (from your handle name, I assume you have a math background, but please elaborate further).

At any rate, if you are looking at graduate programs in the US, based on people I know who graduated from these schools, among the top schools for graduate programs in statistics (both theoretical and applied) are Stanford and Berkeley. Other top schools in statistics include the University of Chicago, Harvard, Cornell, UNC, University of Washington, University of Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, and Duke. There may be other schools that I might have missed, so others can chime in.

4. Aug 17, 2015 #3
    Thanks. I will be finishing a bachelor's degree in mathematics this year. I have very basic non calc based statistic knowledge although I do have some calc based and even joint density probability knowledge. I thoroughly enjoy real analysis and I will be doing independent study this year in real analysis (I took advanced calculus last semester). I will be applying to programs in the United States.

5. Aug 17, 2015 #4

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Thanks for elaborating further. Given what you have informed me, I think the schools I've listed above (Stanford, Berkeley, Chicago, Harvard, Washington, Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell) are good schools to apply to. I would suggest if you have a chance while still pursuing your bachelor's degree in math (if you haven't done so already) to pursue a REU in math if at all possible, preferably with a researcher involved in theoretical statistics, to gain further experience in research and improve your chances for admission.

Best of luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook