What are some hip areas of mathematics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for new and exciting areas of mathematics for graduate studies. The person expresses their interest in number theory but also their concerns about competitiveness in the field. They mention considering other areas such as geometric group theory and mathematical biology. They seek recommendations for interesting and accessible fields of research and universities with strong programs in those areas.
teamoh
What are some "hip" areas of mathematics?

What are some new, hot, hip, fashionable areas of mathematics? What are some research areas that are a hotbed of research now or have some ripe, low hanging fruit?

I am trying to broaden my mathematical horizons, so to say. I am in the process of applying for graduate schools & facing a mid-application crisis. I've always loved number theory and considered looking into programs with strong research focuses in it. However, being the "crown jewel" of mathematics, it seems like the very best, top notch mathematicians are the only ones who seem to cut it in the field. I consider myself a strong student, but I'm no harvard elite and probably not harvard material.

After talking with some professors & mentors, I have the impression that who your advisor is, and how well known & accomplished they are greatly affects your chances of landing a post-doc, a professorship, etc... And I just don't know if I can compete with all the brilliant young people whom I have met with and heard of, and I don't know if I want to fight tooth and nail against them for every position I need (graduate school, a post-doc, a professorship [maybe, someday]).

So, as I said, I would like to find some other areas I am interested in. I thought it would be a good idea to learn about some relatively new, accessible, exciting fields.

As an example: I hear some interesting people are doing interesting things at Cornell, U. Chicago & elsewhere in something called geometric group theory. Neat. I'm told it has attracted several young mathematicians and since it's new, they're employable! Neater.

What are some interesting new fields of mathematical research, who is researching them, and at what universities? Pure, or applied even but I don't have much undergraduate experience there. Mathematical biology sounds fascinating.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey teamoh and welcome to the forums.

The truth is there are tonnes of different areas of research that are "exciting" in their own regard.

What area are you thinking of? Statistics? Applied mathematics? (Financial mathematics? Engineering Applications? Science mathematics? (Biology, Chemistry, Physics)), Pure mathematics?

The reality is there is so much out there, and you need to really specify a particular area to get a meaningful answer to your question.

1. What is the definition of "hip" in the context of mathematics?

"Hip" in mathematics refers to areas of study or research that are considered trendy or popular among mathematicians. These areas often involve cutting-edge techniques and applications that are relevant to current real-world problems.

2. What are some examples of "hip" areas of mathematics?

Some examples of "hip" areas of mathematics include machine learning, cryptography, game theory, and data science. These areas are currently experiencing rapid growth and have a wide range of practical applications.

3. How are "hip" areas of mathematics different from traditional areas of study?

"Hip" areas of mathematics often involve interdisciplinary approaches and collaborations with other fields, such as computer science and engineering. They also tend to have a strong focus on real-world applications and practical problem-solving.

4. Are "hip" areas of mathematics only relevant to certain industries or fields?

No, "hip" areas of mathematics have applications in various industries and fields, including finance, healthcare, and transportation. Their relevance and impact continue to grow as technology advances and new challenges arise.

5. How can I get involved in "hip" areas of mathematics as a student or researcher?

One way to get involved in "hip" areas of mathematics is to take courses or attend workshops and conferences in those areas. You can also join research projects or internships in related fields to gain hands-on experience. Networking with professionals and staying updated on current developments can also help you get involved in these areas.