What are the best books to understand Brownian motion and statistical mechanics?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
WiFO215
Messages
417
Reaction score
1
I am quite well versed with the random walk problem and am interested in finding out more about Brownian motion. Does anyone have any suggestions for books that explain Brownian motion in detail? I suspect these will be books on statistical mechanics.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
xepma said:
I'm not too familiar with this field (at all actually), but some books that seem to get reasonable reviews are:

Lemons (introductory):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/080186867X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Reichl (more advanced, but not that well-written)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3527407820/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Michael Plischke, Birger Bergersen (Reasonable book; has a chapter on stochastic processes, but covers a lot more than that)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812561552/?tag=pfamazon01-20



Cheers.

Lemons is along the lines of what I was looking for. Thank you so much Xepma!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. I have nearly devoured Lemons. I would now like to know if there is some reading material on random walks with reflection and absorption. Googling seems to turn up very advanced texts and there aren't any topics here on PF.
 
I have tried reading from a book called Probability by William Feller, but I would like something a little less rigorous for now due to won't of time. If anyone has any material about the random walk problem with reflection and absorption, could you please tell me?