Companion book to Huang's Statistical Mechanics

In summary, a few books to read parallel to Huang's Statistical Mechanics are Sethna, Ma, Fung, Landau Lifshitz V, and Becker.
annaphys
My professor will be using Huang's Statistical Mechanics next semester and I have been reading a lot of polarizing reviews. Does anyone recommend a book to read parallel to Huang's to better understand the material and that discusses the same topics in similar fashion?

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the point of having the topics explained in a similar fashion if you fear Huang's approach might not be 'good' enough?

When I had my undergrad course in statistical mechanics we used Huang as main reference: I have to admit I did not like it that much, but I would not go as far as to say it's a bad book. Anyway, here are a few other books you might want to look at:
Landau, Lifshitz - Course of theoretical physics vol. 5 (classic)
Sethna - Statistical Mechanics: Entropy, Order Parameters and Complexity (unusual approach with quite a lot of insights, I believe this is very good to use as a supplement)
Politi - Statistical Mechanics in a Nutshell (dense, somebody says terse, but I used to find it clear and straight to the point, haven't opened this in >2 years though)
Ma, Fung - Statistical Mechanics (this is a bit more advanced maybe but might be useful)

I think Sethna used to be freely available as a pdf, and you can surely find the others in your university's library.

Likes Demystifier
Landau Lifshitz 5 is among the best books on stat. mech. I know, but it's tough for the beginner. My favorite introductory undergrad book is

H. B. Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to
Thermostatistics, John Wiley&Sons, New York, Chichester,
Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, 2 ed. (1985).

though it's a bit too much emphasizing the phenomenological thermodynamics for my taste.

Another very good book is volume 5 of the Berkeley Physics course, written by F. Reif, who also wrote another famous more advanced book on the subject:

F. Reif, Statistical Physics, McGraw-Hill, New York, St.
Louis, San Francisco, London, Sydney (1965).

F. Reif, Fundamentals of statistical and thermal physics,
McGraw Hill Book Company, New York (1965).

Likes Demystifier and DarMM
My favourite is "Statistical Physics and Thermodynamics: An Introduction to Key Concepts" by Jochen Rau. It uses QM from the beginning though. However I prefer that.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
Damn! I forgot this gem, written by a colleague of mine. I'm also an advocate of the "quantum-statistics-first approach", since classical statistics is much more problematic and cumbersome than quantum statistics and follows from the latter anyway without all the trouble of the traditional approach. Particularly Gibbs's paradoxon is not present from the very beginning.

Likes Demystifier and DarMM
vanhees71 said:
Particularly Gibbs's paradoxon is not present from the very beginning.
I completely agree. I think Stat Mech is taught first because historically it came first, however related to what you said the resolution to Gibb's paradox of imposing indistinguishability is unmotivated classically. Reading Rau's book the whole subject just "flows" so much more easily. I actually find classical stat mech a bit confusing with all the "tricks" and ad hoc assumptions you have to juggle to avoid QM.

Likes vanhees71
In the theory course at our university Stat. Phys. is taught as the last module (Theory 5), i.e., the students have heard Newtonian + SRT Mechanics, Analytical Mechanics, Classical electromagnetics, Quantum Mechanics 1. So it's well possible to start with quantum statistics first. I've not given this lecture yet, but I'd start with the quantum case first, starting with "2nd quantization" of Schrödinger wave mechanics (i.e., non-relativistic QFT) to have the adequate tools for handling bosons and fermions in a lucid and clear way.

(For me it doesn't make sense to let the students antisymmetrize product states ("slater determinants") to begin with.)

Likes DarMM
Likes Auto-Didact, Demystifier and mastrofoffi
atyy said:
I don't believe in the quantum first approach. I like Kardar's Statistical Physics of Particles.
Kardar is a great book, I'd recommend it as well.

Thanks for the tips. I'll start with Huang and if it doesn't go well I'll check out the books recommended.

I’ll add an endorsement for Reif’s more advanced book, which is really quite readable. It was the text used in my thermo course.

Likes DarMM, vanhees71 and mpresic3
Pathria/Beale is good at the graduate level.
Becker, Theory of Heat is good but it is old. This is grad level too, but might be easier than Pathria/Beale
Reif is good for upper level undergrad but it could be used for graduate too,
Zemansky s is OK for undergrad

Landau Lifshitz V is good too at grad level/

For a discursive treatment Sommerfeld (I think Volume 5) is also very good.

Likes vanhees71
Indeed, Sommerfeld it particularly good in the Boltzmann-transport equation part, discussing Grad's method.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is the main purpose of Huang's Statistical Mechanics companion book?

The main purpose of the companion book to Huang's Statistical Mechanics is to provide additional explanations, examples, and exercises to supplement the material covered in Huang's original text. It serves as a helpful resource for students and researchers studying statistical mechanics.

2. Is the companion book suitable for beginners in statistical mechanics?

While the companion book does assume some prior knowledge of statistical mechanics, it can still be a useful resource for beginners. It provides clear explanations and examples that can aid in understanding the concepts covered in Huang's text.

3. Are there any notable differences between Huang's original text and the companion book?

The companion book may include additional material or examples that were not covered in Huang's original text. It may also provide alternative explanations or perspectives on certain topics. However, the core concepts and principles remain consistent between the two texts.

4. Can the companion book be used as a standalone resource for studying statistical mechanics?

No, the companion book is intended to be used in conjunction with Huang's original text. It does not cover all the material in depth and may not provide sufficient background information for a comprehensive understanding of statistical mechanics on its own.

5. Who would benefit most from using the companion book to Huang's Statistical Mechanics?

The companion book can be beneficial for students and researchers studying statistical mechanics at the undergraduate or graduate level. It can also be a helpful resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of the subject or for those seeking additional practice problems and examples.