What are the best brakes for generating heat in a small space?

  • Thread starter Thread starter everybest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Friction Heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
everybest
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm trying to use https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=50668 for a design I'm working on, but the situation doesn't exactly match.

My idea was to use something like this (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KH24CPE0L._AA280_.jpg) with a flywheel and brake pads to generate heat.

I haven't taken physics in a few years, so I'm a little rusty. I thought I could use KE=.5mv^2 with like, the difference of "velocity without brakes" and "velocity with brakes", but those aren't initial/final, so I would need a time constant in there too.

If anybody can help, that'd be great. Are there any kind of brakes out there that would generate a lot of heat and still be small enough to fit into something like this?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm just confusing myself but would it be KE=.5m((d1/t1)^2-(d2/t2)^2) assuming d1=d2 OR t1=t2? (1 being without breaks and 2 being with breaks)

This is assuming the energy difference is all caused by the brake pads of course.

Also. would this all apply if I'm heating a coil connected to the brake pads opposed to heating the space?
 
Last edited: