What are the best movie fight scenes ever?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JaydenMartin28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Movie
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 2K views
JaydenMartin28
What do you guys think?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Bride versus The Crazy 88's and Oren Ishii.
 
Chris Farley... 'nuff said.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits
Show down at the House of Blue Leaves

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Noisy Rhysling
Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Pearl Harbour, Indiana Jones...
Have I missed anything?
 
ISamson said:
...Pearl Harbour, ...
"Tora, Tora, Tora", yes. That travesty with Ben Feckless, no.

And, btw, "Harbor" is a proper name, spelling is not option there. TIA
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ISamson
I love me some sword fights. But I very much dislike over-choreographed ones. Hence the duel from the original Harakiri ranks among the best in my eyes:

The lack of flashy, superhuman moves, and the relative clumsiness of the human body (as compared to fantasy fights) makes it all feel relatable, and immediate.

For the same reason, the duel from the Twilight Samurai is also very good:


An then there's the first film of Ridley Scott's - the Duellists (based on J. Conrad's novella). As the title suggests, there are a lot of duels in it. They're all great in how they (mostly) tend to end within a few dozen seconds of commencing. It makes you appreciate how down-to-earth, utilitarian, and reactions-based the fights were.
E.g.:



Still, in terms of the awe factor, the greatest fight of all time must be the one-shot corridor fight from Oldboy:
 
Spencer Tracy versus Ernest Borgnine in Bad Day at Black Rock. One of the best "worm turns" sequence ever. As an old guy I also liked the first fist fight in "Hard Times", where Charles Bronson responds perfectly to the comment "Aren't you kind of old for this?", from his opponent. The fight scene in the bar by the main character of the great French movie "Les Enfants du Paradis", (Children of Paradise), is also a pleasant surprise along the lines of the Spencer Tracy scene. After the unexpected result the protagonist says modestly "I grew up in a tough neighborhood."

In addition to amazing swordfight scenes like Twilight Samurai and Sanjuro, there is also the final duel in The Fencing Master.
 
Last edited:
mathwonk said:
Spencer Tracy versus Ernest Borgnine in Bad Day at Black Rock.
Lol... I thought I might be the only one old enough to remember... Bad Day at Black Rock .

Lee Marvin played a real jerk in that movie, too...Woops...
I thought I might be the only one old enough to remember...
That wasn't meant to be insulting... :blushing:
 
ISamson said:
Jackie Chan??
I was thinking of him as well.