What are the best movie fight scenes ever?

• Thread starter JaydenMartin28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movie
In summary, the conversation revolved around various fight scenes in movies, including The Bride vs The Crazy 88's and Oren Ishii, Chuck Norris vs Bruce Lee, Ong Bak, Bloodsport, Hero, Fearless, Showdown at the House of Blue Leaves, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Pearl Harbour, Indiana Jones, and The Bourne Legacy. There were also discussions about well-choreographed and relatable fight scenes, such as the duels in Harakiri and Twilight Samurai, as well as the one-shot corridor fight in Oldboy. Other notable mentions included Spencer Tracy vs Ernest Borgnine in Bad Day at Black Rock and Jackie Chan.
JaydenMartin28
What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bride versus The Crazy 88's and Oren Ishii.

Chris Farley... 'nuff said.

Likes 256bits
Chuck Norris vs Bruce Lee

Ong Bak (NSFW language)

Bloodsport

Hero

Fearless

Likes 256bits

Likes 256bits

Likes Buzz Bloom, 256bits, Mark44 and 2 others
Show down at the House of Blue Leaves

Likes Noisy Rhysling
Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Pearl Harbour, Indiana Jones...
Have I missed anything?

ISamson said:
...Pearl Harbour, ...
"Tora, Tora, Tora", yes. That travesty with Ben Feckless, no.

And, btw, "Harbor" is a proper name, spelling is not option there. TIA

Likes ISamson
I love me some sword fights. But I very much dislike over-choreographed ones. Hence the duel from the original Harakiri ranks among the best in my eyes:

The lack of flashy, superhuman moves, and the relative clumsiness of the human body (as compared to fantasy fights) makes it all feel relatable, and immediate.

For the same reason, the duel from the Twilight Samurai is also very good:

An then there's the first film of Ridley Scott's - the Duellists (based on J. Conrad's novella). As the title suggests, there are a lot of duels in it. They're all great in how they (mostly) tend to end within a few dozen seconds of commencing. It makes you appreciate how down-to-earth, utilitarian, and reactions-based the fights were.
E.g.:

Still, in terms of the awe factor, the greatest fight of all time must be the one-shot corridor fight from Oldboy:

Jackie Chan??

Spencer Tracy versus Ernest Borgnine in Bad Day at Black Rock. One of the best "worm turns" sequence ever. As an old guy I also liked the first fist fight in "Hard Times", where Charles Bronson responds perfectly to the comment "Aren't you kind of old for this?", from his opponent. The fight scene in the bar by the main character of the great French movie "Les Enfants du Paradis", (Children of Paradise), is also a pleasant surprise along the lines of the Spencer Tracy scene. After the unexpected result the protagonist says modestly "I grew up in a tough neighborhood."

In addition to amazing swordfight scenes like Twilight Samurai and Sanjuro, there is also the final duel in The Fencing Master.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
Spencer Tracy versus Ernest Borgnine in Bad Day at Black Rock.
Lol... I thought I might be the only one old enough to remember... Bad Day at Black Rock .

Lee Marvin played a real jerk in that movie, too...Woops...
I thought I might be the only one old enough to remember...
That wasn't meant to be insulting... :blushing:

not to mention Robert Ryan.

... :check:

ISamson said:
Jackie Chan??
I was thinking of him as well.

1. What criteria do you use to determine the best movie fight scenes?

As a scientist, I use a combination of factors such as choreography, realism, creativity, and impact on the overall plot to determine the best movie fight scenes. I also consider the technical aspects such as camera work, sound effects, and special effects.

2. Are there any specific genres that tend to have the best fight scenes?

While there are great fight scenes in all genres, action movies and martial arts films tend to have the most impressive fight sequences. These genres often have a focus on physical combat, leading to more intricate and intense fight scenes.

3. Can a fight scene be considered "the best" even if it is not realistic?

Yes, a fight scene can still be considered the best even if it is not entirely realistic. While realism is an important factor, it is not the only one. Some of the best fight scenes are highly stylized and use creative techniques that may not be entirely realistic but are visually stunning and entertaining.

4. Are there any common elements that make a fight scene memorable?

Yes, some common elements that make a fight scene memorable include a well-developed conflict between the characters involved, a clear objective or goal, and a high level of intensity and tension. Also, creative and unexpected moves or twists can make a fight scene stand out.

5. What is the most important aspect of a fight scene in a movie?

In my opinion, the most important aspect of a fight scene is its impact on the overall story and characters. A fight scene should not just be included for the sake of having action, but should serve a purpose and drive the plot forward. It should also reveal something about the characters involved and their relationships.