What are the Bloch functions for states in valence bands?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dingo_d
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Functions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
dingo_d
Messages
199
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Schrödinger equation of the problem given at the picture can be written in a form:

[itex](E_1-E)c^a+J(1+e^{i \vec{k}\cdot\vec{a}})c^b=0[/itex],
[itex]J(1+e^{-i \vec{k}\cdot\vec{a}})c^a+(E_2-E)c^b=0[/itex].

Find Bloch functions for the states from both valence bands.

Homework Equations



Picture:

TO5mu.png


The Attempt at a Solution



First I find the Bloch energies by solving the above system for E. That is, I have a non trivial solution if the determinant of the above system is zero. From that I get:

[itex]E_{a,b}(k)=\frac{1}{2}\left [ E_1+E_2\pm\sqrt{(E_1-E_2)^2+16J^2\cos^2\left(\frac{ka}{2}\right)}\right][/itex]

From first equation I have:

[itex]c^a=-\frac{J(1+e^{i \vec{k}\cdot\vec{a}})}{E_1-E}c^b[/itex]

And I will use the fact that the Bloch functions should have the norm:

[itex]|c^a|^2+|c^b|^2=1[/itex].

From that I should get the coefficients [itex]c^a[/itex] and [itex]c^b[/itex].

But the problem is that my energy expression is too complicated. If I put it in, and try to determine the coefficients I get this giant mess :\

Is there some kind of assumption that I failed to see, that will help me simplify this problem?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org